Frontosa.com

Frontosa.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Frontosa/Gibberosa species.
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Style Select

Green = Released
Orange = Beta Theme
Gray = Pre-beta Theme
Red = New Pre-beta Team
Current Style

fisubice

You must be logged in to use the Styles Changer

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register
Online Users

In total there are 25 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 24 guests

Most users ever online was 119 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:57 am

Registered users: Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 10 minutes

Search

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 4 of 4      [ 56 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3, 4  
 Post subject: Re: why wild caught over tank breed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:56 pm 
Veteran Member

emsquared19 wrote:
I think that shouldn't breed brothers and sisters from the same batch ,same fry,same as a dogs .
Look like it's way better to look for another non related male,at least not from same parents .
Introducing a new "blood "always helps.

i completely agree kablar

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:56 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:07 pm 
Veteran Member

Recessive genes are not always bad, no. Sorry if that's what I implied, but often genetic diseases are caused by reccessive genes, and given that they are recessive, you need a pair of them for their effects to be shown. They don't then become dominant, but they are expressed when there are two of them. Close relatives are likely to carry similar recessive genes and so there's more chance of two bad recessive genes being inherited by the offspring and therefore being expressed.

Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:07 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:22 am 

I know most of you say no to breeding brothers and sister but i must say back 8 years ago when i first got my yellow labs the mother and father of my current breeding group of yellow labs mated i then kept 10 of there fry and the brothers and sisters all mated and my tank for 8 years running still has the original genes my males 2 are now 6 years old and another 2 are about 3 years old and they mate and all my yellow labs have been great healthey and beautiful.

The original pair i bought seperate i got the male from a local lfs cause he was stunning in the store then found a female at a different lfs that was also extremly colorful so ever since all my yellow labs are really bright and nice colors and it seems the more fry i have the better looking there getting i have to take some pics of them all they look so muich better then any yellow labs i seen in my lfs anywere around here and acually i supply 2 of my lfs with yellow labs every month and they love them they only buy them from me cause the colors are so nice.

I always thought its different with fish then animals like dogs but maybe im wrong anyhow just wanted to share my experince with breeding brothers and sisters i really do believe if you get 2 fish with great colors and breed them then breed there offspring the colors get even better maybe cause like you guys said the dominite genes take over i also must say my yellow labs do so good with fronts i think i will always keep them together well at least as long as my fronts dont start eating them lol.

Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:22 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:19 am 
Life Member

Yellow labs in the US actually started with somethig like 2 to 4 fish, which were carefully bred. It's not that it cannot be done successfully, it's that some fish are easier to do this with than others, and in all cases there is usually some work involved as fish with issues will appear in time, and these need to be culled. Plus you need to do things like separate spawns, and pick males from spawn A and girls from spawn B. It's best to even go further, and start separating Spawn A's males and Spawn B's females, and so on. The more you do this, the more genetic diversity you create despite only starting with two fish. Frontosa for whatever reason seem more prone to the affects of inbreeding than some other cichlids, but the other thing is the time it takes to breed them and the tank space needed. Even with labs you need at least 40 gallon breeder tanks, which with group A, B, Aa, Ab, Ac and Ad can take up allot of space, now imagine this with 6 foot tanks.

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:19 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:26 pm 

I completely agree with me ,in the breeding process, separation and selection as a way to breed healthy and good quality fish are the most important , like in any other breeding .
All the way from Gregor Mendel 1822-1884 , experimented with peas ,breeders have been selectively breeding their plants and animals to produce more useful hybrids.
I guess ,Unfortunately because of space and conditions ,there is not to many Fronts breeders,zoologists with a longer and more detailed scientific approach to Fronts breeding .
Maybe a Discus breeder gain more results about genetics than Fronts one :?:

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:26 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:47 am 

Intersting indeed. I guess all fish aint created equal afterall lol.

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:47 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:16 pm 
Life Member

equality is relevant to the whole of the individuals ;)

Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:16 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:46 am 
Associate Admin

me wrote:
Yellow labs in the US actually started with somethig like 2 to 4 fish, which were carefully bred...

yes, a batch was caught in Malawi at Lions Cove, then shipped to burundi, but only a single pair made the journey.
Out of those 2 specimens many were bred at the Lake Tanganyika facility, and sold to the world.
all from a single pair, and they did just fine.

It was many years before they were collected in the wild again so new blood could be introduced.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:46 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:57 am 

Amazing i never looked into there history like that and ive breed them and had them for years lol. Acually my first yellow labs i had was back in 1996 so thats 16 years ago i always liked them just something about them cant put my finger on it.

I think its the fact that out of all the malawis there just not agressive and dont kill each other like the other malawis do and there yellow color with the black stripes is just great they go so good with my moba too thats literally all i have in my one show tank now is just moba and a few yellow labs o and the goofy clown loaches they are fun to watch.

I have 3 tanks for breeding with a good 12 in one tank and about 20 in the 2 others and right now i have 2 grow out tanks with about 250 fry my pet stores around here buy them all from me every month they literally pay for all my tanks food and supplys and equitment.

Hopefully soon my moba wilds will mate in 6 months or so and then i can acually start making a couple bucks. Im about to buy another tank a 150gallon for 6 more moba wild caught i want to buy.

sorry took this thread off topic a little lol

Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:57 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:19 pm 

I guess the truth is that nobody knows unless they catch the fish themselves?!!?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile post

Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:19 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:02 pm 

Bit late to the party here but better late than never........

A bit of disinformation been told in this thread. Frontosa are heavily fished for food by the locals. You see loads and loads of frontosa in the local markets.

Fisherman catch fronta on line and hook - no shortages at all. There are many many frontosa caught for food.

Aquarium trade collections are nothing compared to what is caught for food.

I dont know how these myths get started - but once they do it becomes folklore.

BM

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:02 pm
Gender place holder
Page 4 of 4      [ 56 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3, 4  
Post a new topic Post a reply