Frontosa.com

Frontosa.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Frontosa/Gibberosa species.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Style Select

Green = Released
Orange = Beta Theme
Gray = Pre-beta Theme
Red = New Pre-beta Team
Current Style

fisubice

You must be logged in to use the Styles Changer

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register
Online Users

In total there are 12 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests

Most users ever online was 119 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:57 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 10 minutes

Recent Topics
Search

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 4 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Help!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:58 am 

Hello everyone,

I know there is a lot posted in reference to this topic, but I have a few specific questions I'd like to ask.

I just discovered my female Burundi is holding - her mouth is positively packed with eggs. This is her first time (I put a new large, F1 male in about two weeks ago and they've been inseparable ever since). I've read a lot of mixed opinions as to what one should do with a holding female; I personally would like to go about this in the least stressful way possible for her, so I'm just not sure what to do. I definitely don't want to strip the eggs if I don't have to.

I'm concerned that the male is now bothering her - he is constantly hanging about and doesn't nip her, but definitely pushes her around/chases her. Should I separate her from the rest of the group? I have a breeder box that hangs off of the tank, and I also have a breeder net that suctions on the inside of the tank. Another option could be for me to get a tank divider and split the tank - keeping my other Fronts on one side, and her on the other until she's done holding. Of course if there are any other suggestions I'm all ears - I will go and buy whatever I need tomorrow. I haven't a clue what I'm doing in this area so any advice is welcome!

Also wondering if I should buy a tumbler - can anyone suggest a good one to buy?

Thanks in advance for the help,

Sav

Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:58 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Help!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:37 pm 
Veteran Member

How big is the tank and how many other fronts do you have? A net or breeder box will be too small and stressful. If the tank is big enough, then a divider could be a solution, but I'd just let her be but keep an eye on her. Make sure the others are fed well and if she goes for 7 days she should go the distance. A separate tank is the best solution if you want the fry - remove her from the main tank after about 25 days. Just a bare tank with a piece of pvc pipe for cover will do.

Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:37 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:49 am 
Veteran Member

Backtofront wrote:
How big is the tank and how many other fronts do you have? A net or breeder box will be too small and stressful. If the tank is big enough, then a divider could be a solution, but I'd just let her be but keep an eye on her. Make sure the others are fed well and if she goes for 7 days she should go the distance. A separate tank is the best solution if you want the fry - remove her from the main tank after about 25 days. Just a bare tank with a piece of pvc pipe for cover will do.

+1. great advice

Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:49 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:14 pm 
Veteran Member

I had a female Burundi that would hold the whole time. I would notice she had a mouth full and I mean a mouth full wasn't sure how she got all those eggs in her mouth. I would write the date down and give myself a day or two that she may have had breed and then about 18-19 days strip swimmers. She had a lot of broods like that. Make sure you have some where for her to hide from the male at least some where to give her a break from him seeing and pushing her around. If you have that you may be ok. Good luck you are going to have a lot of babies!!!

:moba :moba :moba :mpimbwe :mpimbwe

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:14 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 4 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply