Frontosa.com

Frontosa.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Frontosa/Gibberosa species.
It is currently Mon May 01, 2017 5:12 am

Style Select

Green = Released
Orange = Beta Theme
Gray = Pre-beta Theme
Red = New Pre-beta Team
Current Style

fisubice

You must be logged in to use the Styles Changer

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register
Online Users

In total there are 27 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 24 guests

Most users ever online was 119 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:57 am

Registered users: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 10 minutes

Search

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 12 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Tank size.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:43 pm 

Hello, I am new here. I do have a Rio 300 from Jewel and I read this tank is too small for Frontosa. I do agree. I live in Namibia and we have very limited supply of tanks here. I do not want to take the risk to have a custom made one because the quality is very low this side of the world. I can import a bigger Jewel tank from South Africa as I previously did with my tank. Unfortunately the biggest tank from Jewel is not as big as I wished. I am talking about the Rio 400 which is 450 liter including gravel and rocks. I would like to know if I can go for it or better not. If not I really cannot have any frontosa at all. Thank you.

Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:43 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Tank size.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:19 pm 

How long is the bigger tank? 2 meter tanks or longer are preferred, length is more important than depth. The 450 liter tank has enough capacity for a small group of fronts say 4 or 5. You may want to construct a tank if others are not available. You could also use a livestock tub as a holding vessel until other things can be investigated. Good luck.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile post

Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:19 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:33 am 
Veteran Member

Might not be what you want to hear but you could buy 1.5 to 2 inch frontosa when they get 5 or 6 inches sell them and start again. They will just out grow the tank if you keep them. But if you stay on the small side you would be able to have frontosa.

:moba :moba :moba :moba :mpimbwe :mpimbwe

Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:33 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:43 am 

Thank you guys. The length of a Rio 400 is 1500 mm.

Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:43 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:55 pm 
Life Member

I agree with the guys.

2 - 20 gallon long Ancistrus breeding tanks
“For me, the world of nature bears spectacular witness to the imaginative genius of our Creator.”

Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:55 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:38 am 

This is a completely new system, players can set the strength of the monster in the game. That is, in addition to the existing ordinary, nightmare, ********, purgatory this difficulty distinguish. You can also select a "monster strength for your game. D3 gold can exchange legedary items. You need Diablo 3 items to add your attribution.Note that the following sentence: "You can set any difficulty any monsters intensity". Monster strength not directly related to the difficulty of the game, he is a monster value and other incentives numerical intensive Whether you choose the difficulty of any game, monster strength will be multiplied by a proportional manner to strengthen or weaken you in the game more difficult.

Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:38 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:28 am 

I just set up a 120g 4x2x2 I was told this was too small for a frontosa. I have a 100g L 6ft. But i wanted to sell that because i got 2 120 gallons. Is this wrong i cant keep 2 frontosa and a few tank mates in that tank?
thank you,
Dmf

Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:28 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:16 pm 
Veteran Member

on occasion people have gotten away with it with certain groups but usually you will run into aggression issues as they mature. males are territorial and tend to get a bit feisty. every group is different though and all fish have their own personalities just like people. some are mellow and others are total jerks.... especially if they don't have their own space. also frontosa are known to spook and run into the tank walls in shorter tanks and can badly injure or kill themselves this way. of course this can happen in any size tank but the longer the tank is the less likely this will happen. hope this helps.

Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:16 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:32 am 
Veteran Member

I started years ago with four small frontosa in a 55 gallon tank. It was about six months into having them when I noticed a lot of aggression going on. I then bought a 6 foot 125 gallon tank and this was the answer. I had that group in this tank for 12 years. They were a breeding group of 6 at that point and did well.

:moba :moba :moba :mpimbwe :mpimbwe

Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:32 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:37 am 

Haha i am currently holding my front in 422 as well, but they are still small, largest only 3.5in, eventually will upgrade to a bigger tank for them.

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:37 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:40 pm 

I have a 5ft 120gal with 1m 3f adult burundi fronts. that breed like crazy. This is the 2nd time with this same setup for me to breed fronts.

Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:40 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:34 pm 
Veteran Member

My first Frontosa tank was a Rio 400. I kept (and bred) 2 males and 4 females in it for about two years, although eventually I needed a bigger one. You should be alright though.

Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:34 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 12 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply