Frontosa.com

Frontosa.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Frontosa/Gibberosa species.
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:50 am

Style Select

Green = Released
Orange = Beta Theme
Gray = Pre-beta Theme
Red = New Pre-beta Team
Current Style

fisubice

You must be logged in to use the Styles Changer

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register
Online Users

In total there are 21 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests

Most users ever online was 119 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:57 am

Registered users: Google [Bot], Google Feedfetcher, Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 10 minutes

Recent Topics
Hello~!
by: iandraco
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:21 am
View latest reply...

Intro
by: iandraco
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:26 pm
View latest reply...

Male or Female, Need...
by: Filip Gorgiovski
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:24 pm
View latest reply...

substrait accumulati...
by: insite
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 pm
View latest reply...

Intro
by: Allen
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 pm
View latest reply...

WTB
by: Barnacle Joe
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:43 am
View latest reply...

We are back
by: Allen
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:31 am
View latest reply...

show and tell..........
by: Simard
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:47 am
View latest reply...

Intro
by: sham
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 am
View latest reply...

May 2010 Best Fronto...
by: Reisch
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:34 pm
View latest reply...

Clown Loaches Fin ni...
by: peteralan
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:47 pm
View latest reply...

Frontosa with floati...
by: manfred
Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:33 pm
View latest reply...

Your Fish in Your Sh...
by: peteralan
Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 am
View latest reply...

Old heifers.........
by: Bwana Makuba
Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:20 am
View latest reply...

why wild caught over...
by: Bwana Makuba
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:02 pm
View latest reply...

Search

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 2 of 3      [ 38 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3  
 Post subject: Re: new need help too :)
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:29 am 

I feel like a dumbass period I had a tank already 60g a fewvyears ago with tonnes of cichlids and my front was my favorite. I never knew about a proper cycle and was lead to believe you needed fish to start a cycle in the first place

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:29 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:44 am 
Veteran Member

Don't feel dumb. You're learning. I made the same mistakes and then some. I bought my first tank (55g), went home and set it up that night. Went out the next morning and bought 30+ community fish and dumped them in. The people at the store told me I shouldn't and that they couldn't guarantee the fish. I didn't listen. Everything was fine for about a week. Then my whole house started smelling like ammonia and my fish got ick. Went to the store and bought the first ick medication I saw. Which had malachite green in it. My catfish and loaches almost immediately started acting worse. I panicked and dumped in more medicine. Killed them all almost immediately. The rest of the fish died within the next couple days. Lost a lot of innocent fish and a couple hundred dollars. That was dumb. I wish i could say thats all it took to start listening. For the next couple years i started doing more research but i really just read article after article until i found one that said what i wanted to hear. Quite a few more fish died. Not proud of it. Sucks to admit it but it's the truth. You are doing the right thing. You have recognized you have a problem and asked for help from people who have a little more experience and you're listening. Don't beat yourself up. Everyone makes mistakes. You are I both will make more. This hobby is a little more complicated then most people know. All we can do is do our research listen and learn so we know better next time.

As for your mbuna. I kept a couple fronts with mbuna and peacocks. Didn't have problems until the mbuna got to breeding age. Then they started nipping my fronts up and I separated them. Only other problems I had was making sure my fronts got enough food. The fast moving mbuna got most of the food first. Had to feed the fronts on the other side of the tank. Since you're setting up a larger tank soon. My advice would be to move the fronts in there after its cycled and ready and leave the mbuna in the 60. Then you'll have 2 awesome tanks and you'll have room for more fronts and mbuna in their respective tanks. Win win. Just keep an eye on them in the meantime.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile post

Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:44 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:11 am 

On a side note what kind of lighting do you guys use? My tank is in a well lit room with natural light during the day, and for night I use 2 blue lights by coral lifEven. Actinic blue light. It says on the box emulates dark water light just like fronts would naturally be in. Another thing, I installed an undergrave filter. I have now read a lot of bad and some good things on them, would you suggest I keep it or do away with it early.

Last edited by mercysquad on Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:11 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:49 am 

Daylight, frontosa: http://youtu.be/lWuQ_X2NQdg

Night light, frontosa: http://youtu.be/Y9gYUdzqoa8

Frontosa :): http://youtu.be/9DJVoO265BY

Thanks for the help guys

Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:49 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:54 am 
Veteran Member

i'm just using a cheapo $10 shop/strip light from walmart and one of their $5 T12 aquarium/ plant lights. a lot of front keepers don't use lights at all since fronts live so deep and don't get a whole lot of natural light. i did this for a while but wasn't really enjoying my fish this way since if couldn't see much of their colors or behavior.

ugf is a toss up really. they're a great biological filter if properly maintained. if you have a sand substrate it won't be much good because the sand will plug it up. you will have to clean it out regularly or you will have very high nitrates. if your fish start digging in the gravel on top of it it will not work properly. just depends on the situation and your fish's habits.

Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:54 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:22 pm 

Awesome! Thought I'd come back and say my tank looks great and is fully cycled without any fish loss! Woot Woot! But I have one more question. My fronts still seem very first constantly fighting. Is this normal? I've never witnessed fronts this aggressive. No scales missing or fins nipped so far. Maybe you have a tip? I have the whole bottom of my tank filled with caverns and cichlid stones and slate with a large top swimming area

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:22 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:07 pm 
Veteran Member

glad to hear it. i had been wondering how they were doing. as far as the sparing going on between your fronts, it could be a pecking order thing or they may be establishing territories. my fronts typically swim in the bottom and middle sections of my tanks and usually only come towards the top during feeding time. they seem to like some wide open space. maybe less decor would give them more room and eliminate territories which could also help with the aggression issues. a lot of front keepers just have a few large smooth rocks and a single cave for the alpha male to claim. might be worth a shot. if it doesn't work you can always change it back.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:07 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:34 pm 

hey Mercy, I have been following along and glad to hear you have turned the corner. First off I would like to say that anyone who has been in this hobby for a long time, inevitably went through their own "dumb ass period". I for one went through a few, starting with feeding bologna to my fish, killing them, and replacing them with Pacus. They really filled up my 50 gal tank :shock: ......

Sand with a UGF will fail in short order. A canister filter and regular water changes will be your best friend. Just remember when cleaning the filter, to use tank water so as to not wipe out the resident bacteria. Some will say that this is not necessary, but a little extra caution isnt a bad thing.

My Mobas ( 7. had 8 Lost one early on ) have now been in the tank for several weeks. At first, they stayed in the rocks and were very shy. Once they started to get comfortable, they gravitated to the open water area of the tank. At this time all ******** broke loose with tons of sparing, chasing etc. This went on for a couple of weeks. Two or three fish would hang out in the open, the others would hang by the rocks. A week ago, I added 4 Fire Fin Comps. The Comps were even more timid than the Mobas, but now are coming out more. Now , all the Mobas hang out in the center open area with absolutly no fighting or aggression. I wish I could say when this happened, but I dont recall, but I suspect that the addition of the Comps had something to do with it . I will also add that they are eating like pigs and starting to resemble little striped sausages haha.

I am in agreement with iandraco as far as providing open area. Perhaps try and move things around so you can accomplish this while still providing areas to hide and break site lines.

As far as set up, its a 180 with two holes rock reefs on each end and a large open area in the center. Lights are Current 50/50 led reef lights with the whites dialed down to 60%. Fish have great color and seem fine with the light.

Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:34 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:06 am 

Awesome advice, I did what Ian said the day I read it and they have calmed down a lot now. The advice given here is some top notch advice everything worked just as you guys stated :) couldn't be happier!

Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:06 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:46 am 
Veteran Member

glad to hear it worked and that your fish are happy.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:46 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:35 pm 

Ok quick question. Minimum tank size for 6 fronts? 6ft long 2 ft wide 4 ft tall?

Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:35 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:32 pm 
Veteran Member

At least 6 feet long 18 inches wide. Height doesn't really matter too much but at least 18 inches I would say. The footprint on the bottom is the main thing. We usually say a 125 is the minimum size for up to 8 fronts. Of course bigger is better but thats not always in the cards.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:32 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:49 pm 
Veteran Member

Hopefully you are "throw the woods" by now. For future reference, use SeaChem Stability and your tank will be cycled within 8 days and it will keep ammonia levels from being lethal while it cycles your tank with fish in it. When using Stability, do not do water changes as you will slow down the process.

I do not like to use "seeded" filter material/media from outside sources for fear of contamination. Stability works great.

Best wishes.

Russ

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:49 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:03 pm 

Awesome Russ I'll do that while setting up my guppy fish farm lol I want to learn how to breed with something a bit easier first, plus, livebearers make great snacks for my fronts, not to mention the metallic type I got a very cool to see!

Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:03 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:13 pm 
Veteran Member

Yep, starting new tanks with your own seeded media is ideal. Use Prime to eliminate chlorines and chloramines and keep Stability on hand just in case you need it. I have started up wild caught tanks from scratch with it. You will get some trace ammonia but levels will be held to a manageable amounts. Used Stability many times with excellent results each and every time. It has earned my trust and recommendation.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:13 pm
Gender place holder
Page 2 of 3      [ 38 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3  
Post a new topic Post a reply