Frontosa.com

Frontosa.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Frontosa/Gibberosa species.
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:18 pm

Style Select

Green = Released
Orange = Beta Theme
Gray = Pre-beta Theme
Red = New Pre-beta Team
Current Style

fisubice

You must be logged in to use the Styles Changer

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register
Online Users

In total there are 13 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests

Most users ever online was 119 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:57 am

Registered users: Google [Bot] based on users active over the past 10 minutes

Recent Topics
Wild Caught Cichlids...
by: kuyunga25
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:08 pm
View latest reply...

Hello All nice peopl...
by: kuyunga25
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:57 pm
View latest reply...

Intro
by: iandraco
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:26 pm
View latest reply...

Tanzanian exporters ...
by: Arusha54
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:40 pm
View latest reply...

Hi all, this is Aqua...
by: Arusha54
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:37 pm
View latest reply...

Male or Female, Need...
by: Filip Gorgiovski
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:24 pm
View latest reply...

substrait accumulati...
by: insite
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 pm
View latest reply...

Intro
by: Allen
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 pm
View latest reply...

WTB
by: Barnacle Joe
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:43 am
View latest reply...

We are back
by: Allen
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:31 am
View latest reply...

show and tell..........
by: Simard
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:47 am
View latest reply...

Intro
by: sham
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 am
View latest reply...

May 2010 Best Fronto...
by: Reisch
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:34 pm
View latest reply...

Clown Loaches Fin ni...
by: peteralan
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:47 pm
View latest reply...

Frontosa with floati...
by: manfred
Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:33 pm
View latest reply...

Search

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 3      [ 38 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3  
 Post subject: new need help too :)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:37 pm 

So I have set up a new 60 gallon for fronts. I know this is small I'm currently building a 180 which will be done well before needed. Anyways. I set up the tank on Feb 17, added bacteria for startup and proper chemicals to treat new water. I put 4 goldfish to begin the cycle. Then got rid of them and added 6 brundI. My ammonia levels haven't seem to gone down yet and are still raising. They were. 25 until I added the fronts. Now steady raise to1.0- 2.0. Is this normal? 10-20 water changes daily as per fish breeders I bought them from. Running 2 filters. One aqua clear mounted for 70g, and a marineland biowheel penguin 350 75g. Help please :(

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile post

Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:37 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: new need help too :)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:02 am 
Veteran Member

welcome. sounds like you're in some hot water atm. lets get straight to the point. first off, if you have another tank that is cycled or know someone who does who has room for your fish, you should move your fronts there immediately. if this is not an option go straight to the store and get a bottle of Prime. it will be with the water conditioners. it will neutralize ammonia. your test strips will still read that there is ammonia there but it will be harmful. follow the directions on the bottle. keep in mind that even after you do this you are still not out of the woods. you may already know this but after ammonia spikes in the cycling of a fist tank comes a nitrite spike that is equally or deadly to fish. again the prime will help. follow the directions on the bottle. i believe you have to use 6 times the previous amount. but you should still move your fish to another tank temporarily if possible while your tank cycles. also if you know anyone who is using the same kind of filter as you have ask them if you can swap filter cartrages with them. their old scummy filter from an established tank will have the beneficial bacteria you need to help in the cycling process. do these things right away and i'll ask some follow up questions when i get off work to try to figure out why this all happened. :luck

Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:02 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:19 am 

First of all thanks so much for taking the time to read my post and help with my problem! As soon as I read your reply I ran to the fish store and got a bottle of prime and ammonia remover inserts for my filter. I did a 20% water change and added the 5times the normal dose as per bottle instructions. As for moving my fronts of getting a filter, the only other person I know who has anything aquatic would be turtles, could I use his submersible filter? As per the moving of the fish I don't have anyone or anywhere to move them they are here for the ride. I will post new ammonia levels in the morning.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Last edited by mercysquad on Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:19 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:31 am 

On a side note, will adding prime slow or reverse my cycle?

Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:31 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:15 am 
Veteran Member

Prime may or may not increase the time it takes to cycle your tank. Im not really sure. I do know a guy who was in the same boat as you who added it every couple of days for 8 weeks with weekly water changes and did not lose any fish. This may have been excessive but it worked for him. I myself used it for a nitrite spike in my tropheus tank successfully. I cycled that tank for 3 weeks and thought I was in the clear since I used water and a sponge filter from another tank. I was wrong and prime saved the day and my trophs. The only pit fall to prime......other than the smell is that your test readings will still read that ammonia and nitrite are there because they are but it is neutralized and is temporarily safe. Just keep adding it daily or every other day until tests read 0.

I wouldn't add any filter media or water from a turtle tank because of potential bacterial problems. Your lfs may be able to help out with a old filter cartridge though. Just make sure the fish in the tank it comes from are healthy.

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:15 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:53 am 
Administrator

good advice here!

Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:53 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:46 pm 

Ok I will continue with the daily 10-20% water change and how often could I use prime safely coming from a person who has some experience using it in an emergency situation?

Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:46 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:06 pm 
Veteran Member

i have never had any problems with using prime frequently. not saying it's not possible, but it has never been a problem for me. it's first and foremost a water conditioner or dechlorinator. everything else is a bonus. when i had a nitrite spike in my tropheus tank i dosed it every day for a few days, and then every other day until my nitrite tests read 0. this took a little over a week. my friend dosed his tank every other day for 8 weeks with no issues either. not sure how often he did water changes but i just did them every week like i normally do. i would advise you to continue to use prime or sea chem safe as a water conditioner as well because it will save you a lot of money and then you will always have it on hand in case of another emergency down the line like this one. i actually switched to sea chem safe a few years ago because it is much cheaper. it's the powder form of prime that you have to mix up before each water change. same thing but without the stabilizers. a little more work but an even bigger savings. i have to order it online since no stores in my area carry it.

Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:06 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:28 pm 

Ok sounds good, by using it do you mean the normal 5ml cap to treat 50g or were you doing the 5times amoun? On a side noto I've found someone with 2 tanks to get beneficial bacteria today. How should I go about it just squeeze out her sponges and add the water to my tank?

Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:28 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:53 am 
Veteran Member

awesome! yes. squeeze out the sponges and add it to your tank and if they'll let you get one of their old filter cartridges and add it to your filter. you may have to buy them a new one but they're not that expensive. sounds crazy to put a bunch of dirty stuff in your tank but it really is the best way to get the beneficial bacteria you need to cycle your tank. it's gonna look ugly for a little while but it will clear up in a few hours.

as for the prime. i was using 5x the amount for my nitrite spike. you do go through a lot of prime this way but it's cheap compared to your fronts. i don't think you have to use that much for an ammonia spike though. double check your bottle.

Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:53 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:03 am 

Ok awesome I've done that and have already noticed a decrease in ammonia level. Will keep an update on the situation. Thanks again for all your help

Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:03 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:44 am 
Veteran Member

Good deal. Now that the ammonia is going down nitrite should start to rise. Keep an eye out for this. You're still midway through the cycle. Hopefully you're on the right track though. Keep an eye on your fronts for signs of stress. Let us know if any white spots or anything else troubling. We'll try to help you out as much as we can. Keep us posted.

Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:44 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:04 pm 

http://youtu.be/8vspGGM7aJs
Was taken last night, I think they look fine, a bit aggressive but fine, what do you think?

Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:04 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:54 pm 
Veteran Member

they look to be a bit feisty but that could be them figuring out the pecking order. otherwise they look fine as far as i can tell. just keep a look out for white spots that would indicate ich, fuzzy white patches which would be fungus, or heavy breathing which could be from a number of causes. keep an eye on those mbuna. they are a lot more aggressive than fronts and can nip them to pieces or chase them to death. i'm guessing you plan to separate them when you get your big tank up and running?

Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:54 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:24 am 

No I never thought of that. In most of the fish stores with display african tanks they have lots of fronts and those electric yellow labs together. Mind you prob a 5-1 ratio front-lab. I thought they would be fine together

Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:24 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 3      [ 38 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3  
Post a new topic Post a reply