Frontosa.com

Frontosa.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Frontosa/Gibberosa species.
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:09 pm

Style Select

Green = Released
Orange = Beta Theme
Gray = Pre-beta Theme
Red = New Pre-beta Team
Current Style

fisubice

You must be logged in to use the Styles Changer

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register
Online Users

In total there are 14 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests

Most users ever online was 119 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:57 am

Registered users: Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 10 minutes

Recent Topics
Hello~!
by: iandraco
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:21 am
View latest reply...

Intro
by: iandraco
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:26 pm
View latest reply...

Male or Female, Need...
by: Filip Gorgiovski
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:24 pm
View latest reply...

substrait accumulati...
by: insite
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 pm
View latest reply...

Intro
by: Allen
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 pm
View latest reply...

WTB
by: Barnacle Joe
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:43 am
View latest reply...

We are back
by: Allen
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:31 am
View latest reply...

show and tell..........
by: Simard
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:47 am
View latest reply...

Intro
by: sham
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 am
View latest reply...

May 2010 Best Fronto...
by: Reisch
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:34 pm
View latest reply...

Clown Loaches Fin ni...
by: peteralan
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:47 pm
View latest reply...

Frontosa with floati...
by: manfred
Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:33 pm
View latest reply...

Your Fish in Your Sh...
by: peteralan
Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 am
View latest reply...

Old heifers.........
by: Bwana Makuba
Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:20 am
View latest reply...

why wild caught over...
by: Bwana Makuba
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:02 pm
View latest reply...

Search

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 13 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Wow it's been a long time!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:18 pm 

Hi guys,

An old member (in both senses!) re-introducing himself. I can't believe it's been 2 years since i was last on here (and even longer since i last posted!!), boy does time go quicker as you get older :cry: I have just finished a job that has seen me travelling way too much but i did try and get on here but it said the site was no more! I'm probably rejoining at the wrong time as i'm about to deploy to the South Atlantic for 4 months but i'll see if i can sneek on at some point :lol:

A lot has happened since i last posted, the Kits have gone and i went back to mbuna. The Kits became very skittish, they were fine with me but if anybody else went near the tank all ******** broke loose! So i rehomed them and went back to what i knew best, mbuna. My first attempt at keeping Frontosa hadn't gone too well but i always had a niggling doubt that perhaps i was too hasty in giving up on them. Well that niggling doubt got so niggly that i had to try again. I did try and track down my old Kitumba group without any success, so i now have 6 Mpimbwe that are a little over 2 years old and doing great. The reason for the skittish Frontosa? the tank was too near a door which was spooking them, sometimes it's the simplest of thing that you don't think about, mainly as it's never happened to any other fish that i've kept there. The tank is still by the door, however, next year when i return from my deployment i will be upgrading their 5ft tank to a 7ft tank and relocating it away from the door........good excuse for an upgrade eh? :lol:

Anyways, it's good to be back :wink:

Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:18 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Wow it's been a long time!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:56 pm 
Veteran Member

Welcome back nice looking group!!

:moba :moba :moba :mpimbwe :mpimbwe

Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:56 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:19 pm 
Veteran Member

welcome back. nice pims. :cheers:

Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:19 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:28 pm 

Welcome back that's an awesome group you got there

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile post

Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:28 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:07 am 

Cheers guys.

I have my alpha (the handsome fella in the last pic) and i have my beta. I have one which i think is another male as it has remained very small and always hides away, he's hiding in the cave in the second pic, he comes out for food and swims with the other five for a bit, then retreats back to his cave. The middle three of the group are all of a similar size and i'm hoping they are females, knowing my luck i have six males :lol: but when i move them into their bigger tank i will have my first attempt at venting!
The problem i have over here in the UK is finding Mpimbwe breeders, the market seems to be flooded with Burundi. I have found a UK importer that has WC but it's whether i can convince him to sell me females or if i end up with a mix again.

Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:07 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:54 pm 
Veteran Member

Well I am in the UK (Cardiff) and I have a group of WC Mpimbwe. I've only had them a month or so, so no breeding as yet but that is the intention. Hopefully by the time you are back home I will have had some progress.

Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:54 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:20 am 
Veteran Member

Welcome back! Very nice group of pims!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile post

Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:20 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:23 am 

Backtofront wrote:
Well I am in the UK (Cardiff) and I have a group of WC Mpimbwe. I've only had them a month or so, so no breeding as yet but that is the intention. Hopefully by the time you are back home I will have had some progress.

Did you get them from Mikes Rifts? He was the importer i was on about. My original group of F1 Kits i got from Roger Miles, i did contact him when i decided to have a second attempt but he said his were having a lull in breeding and i've not seen any adverts from him anywhere so i'm guessing that's still the case.
My intention is to sex and thin out my group and replace with WC or F1 (especially if my suspicions are correct and i have 6 males) and hopefully end up with a ratio of 2m:6f. I'm due back in the country around the end of January and there is 6-8 week lead time on the tank i'm ordering. I was going to get the tank from ND Aquatics but i was at the BCA convention last weekend and was chatting to Giles Barlow (of Barlow Aquatics) and their tanks have gotten good reviews, so now i'm undecided :lol:

On a side note, i met Ad Konings at the convention and got him to sign one of his books i'd just won in the auction.......a bit geeky i know but i was like a fat kid in a sweet shop :lol:

Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:23 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:00 pm 
Veteran Member

Yes mine are from Mikes. His fish come in in pairs or in 1:2 ratios it seems. I managed to get 1:6 with my Moba but I think I that is unusual. You usually have to buy more males than you need and sell them off. Roger Miles is no longer in the front business.
I have one tank from ND and one from Aquariums Ltd. Both were really good value and of a similar quality; no complaints from either. If I had to choose, ND's tank probably had a slightly better finish.

Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:00 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:29 am 

He has to do it that way i guess otherwise he'd be left with loads of males that he can't do anything with. I'm just worried that because my males are already established, adding potentially extras males could end up with a blood bath! I would've hoped that with my group of six at least three would've been females but i think i'm currently 4:2, until i vent them i won't know for sure. Have you got any pics of your females so i can run a comparison?
I'm leaning back with ND again now after your post, the 7x2x2 tank i'm looking at comes in at around £895 (inc delivery) whereas Barlow were quoting me £1250 (not inc delivery). The only thing extra i need will be the lights, i'm venturing into LED's but even with those costed it comes in under Barlow's price.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:29 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:05 pm 
Veteran Member

I originally had 4m 3f with my Moba but I managed to swap 3 of the males for females. Venting at 5" or less is a bit hit and miss. The way to do it if you can't get just females is to make sure the new additions are smaller. Select what you think is your alpha and keep him, then remove all of the fish from the tank including the alpha. Rearrange the furniture and introduce the new additions, then add the existing females and lastly the alpha and all should be ok. No guarantees though.
With my first group (Tembwe - these were not from Mike) I had to buy males I didn't want just to get females and then sell off the surplus males cheap. Its not ideal, and not cheap, but sometimes it's the only way.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:05 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:05 pm 

I have one that is a little below 5" and i think it's a male anyway as it hasn't grown anything like the others and is always hiding away. Rearranging the furniture won't be a problem as they are all going into a new tank lol. It's going to take some timing but i've got plenty of time on my hands to work it all out.

Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:05 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:42 pm 
Life Member

Good looking group!

2 - 20 gallon long Ancistrus breeding tanks
“For me, the world of nature bears spectacular witness to the imaginative genius of our Creator.”

Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:42 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 13 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply