Frontosa.com

Frontosa.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Frontosa/Gibberosa species.
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:27 am

Style Select

Green = Released
Orange = Beta Theme
Gray = Pre-beta Theme
Red = New Pre-beta Team
Current Style

fisubice

You must be logged in to use the Styles Changer

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register
Online Users

In total there are 17 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 16 guests

Most users ever online was 119 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:57 am

Registered users: Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 10 minutes

Recent Topics
Wild Caught Cichlids...
by: kuyunga25
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:08 pm
View latest reply...

Hello All nice peopl...
by: kuyunga25
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:57 pm
View latest reply...

Intro
by: iandraco
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:26 pm
View latest reply...

Tanzanian exporters ...
by: Arusha54
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:40 pm
View latest reply...

Hi all, this is Aqua...
by: Arusha54
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:37 pm
View latest reply...

Male or Female, Need...
by: Filip Gorgiovski
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:24 pm
View latest reply...

substrait accumulati...
by: insite
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 pm
View latest reply...

Intro
by: Allen
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 pm
View latest reply...

WTB
by: Barnacle Joe
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:43 am
View latest reply...

We are back
by: Allen
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:31 am
View latest reply...

show and tell..........
by: Simard
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:47 am
View latest reply...

Intro
by: sham
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 am
View latest reply...

May 2010 Best Fronto...
by: Reisch
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:34 pm
View latest reply...

Clown Loaches Fin ni...
by: peteralan
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:47 pm
View latest reply...

Frontosa with floati...
by: manfred
Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:33 pm
View latest reply...

Search

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 2      [ 24 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
 Post subject: Green Phantom L200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:16 pm 
Life Member

So I just bought a L200 Green Phantom yesterday. It's 5" and with shipping cost me $50, so not too bad. It's on the way and will arrive tomorrow morning. I can't wait to get it...but I'm stressed! I've never had fish shipped to me before and am hoping and praying that he will be ok. It was priority from New York and was packaged yesterday afternoon...so that's almost two full days in the shipping package...I hope he'll be ok! The guy said he has over 90% success with Priority shipping...so I'm hoping I won't be that 10%!

Also, I'm unable to get it so my wife is receiving the package and doesn't know everything to do, so I'll be guiding her over the phone...I would do a slow transfer, slowly adding tank water to his water, but I'm worried that he will be needing a well cycled/circulated tank right away by the time he reaches me, so I think I'll have her let the bag sit in my water for about 15 minutes to adjust to temp and then tell her to put him in.

I just hope I'll have a living green phantom in my tank tomorrow afternoon! Is priority usually ok? Any better thoughts for putting him in my tank? Thanks!

Marc

2 - 20 gallon long Ancistrus breeding tanks
“For me, the world of nature bears spectacular witness to the imaginative genius of our Creator.”

Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:16 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Green Phantom L200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:38 pm 
Life Member

Adding tank water to the bag can cause issues. I've never been clear on what the pro's do here as I have basically heard one time or another that every method is bad. That being said first and most important is to have a setup with water which is ideal for the particular fish coming. I hope others chime in and call me on it if this is unsound, but I simply pour the fish into a net over a bucket and place them in their new tank. Again key with this method is having the proper water temps, ph etc for the new fish. you don't want to shock them by having water too different than what they are used to.

I prefer express over priority, but have had success with priority as well. Many fish can survive a week or more in the mail, so don't worry yourself too much.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:38 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:45 pm 
Life Member

That really does make me feel better, thanks a lot me! Most places I looked say the L200's high ph is 7.8...mine is 8.0...so I don't think that will be much of a problem. I think I'll slowly change his temp in the bag to my tank temp by placing the bag in the tank for about 15 minutes as I said and then add the fish like you said. I think that should work...If anyone who reads this knows a better way, please chime in. Thanks again!

Marc

“For me, the world of nature bears spectacular witness to the imaginative genius of our Creator.”

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:45 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:52 pm 

I always float my new fish for atleast 10mins.while there still in the bag then I use a slow drip setup to acclamate them slowly to my water chemistry the whole while the lights are off in the room & the tank,this proccess usually takes about 45mins.& I also leave my tank lights off for about 24 hrs even with fish I have had shipped in & have not lost 1 yet.

Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:52 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:27 am 
Life Member

Thanks for the info mj. I used that same process when I brought home my Gold Nugget Pleco. Unfortunately I won't have the time for that this time and my wife won't know how to set it up.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:27 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:11 am 
Associate Admin

Floating a bag may be OK if buying from your LFS, but not so good for a shipped fish.

A shipped fish will have elevated ammonia levels, yes, even if the fish is properly fasted.

Ammonia is more toxic at warmer temperatures and higher pH.

So if your fish arrives at say 68 degrees and 6.8 ph (because of metabolic and ammonia levels the pH will drop) it will be able to somewhat handle the toxic ammonia in the bag.

But, guess what happens if you float your bag in your warmer tank.
The ammonia that it could somewhat handle will now be toxic, remember higher temperatures make ammonia more toxic.
So by equalizing temperature while floating your fish, you just increased the stress on your fish by increasing the ammonia levels.

This is your best bet to handle shipped fish, and may as well do for LFS fish, though less important.

First off, quarantine all fish, but since that may not likely happen.

1. empty the bag with water and fish into a bucket.
2. Add quarter cap of PRIME.
3. over a half hour slowly add your tank water (hopefully quarantine tank water!) into bucket.
4. when the ph and temp in bucket matches your tank, net out the fish from the bucket and place in QUARANTINE TANK.
If not doing a quarantine tank, hopefully add the new fish to the established tank at night, in dark, or at least after changing up the tank decor and territories and even adding a couple new hiding places for the new fish.

Does your tap water come out at 8.0?
your frontosa don't require it that high, if you are doing something to make it that high.
If its coming out of the tap at over 7.0 i'd just leave it, your frontosa will be fine, and will still breed in time.
plus your plecos and loaches would be much happier.
i'd not keep plecos and loaches higher than 7.5, which your frontosa will more than be fine at.
You are doing well if you can keep a gold nugget alive at 8.0, its not a very tolerant pleco.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:11 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:29 am 
Life Member

TR6 is who I would listen too.

I was trying to guess what you might say right after my post TR6. I was close only I thought it may be fresh water and prime. Makes perfect sense with clean tank water and prime though. emsquared19 you got the best possible advice there from TR6.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:29 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:48 am 
Life Member

Yea I was waiting for him to say something, thanks tr6! It's coming in the morning and I'm unsure about exactly what you mean by "quarantine water" I have my 265 set up, and a 10 gallon hospital that has my sick front in it....also have an empty 20 long that I'm about to set up...I unfortunately don't have time to do much else before it arrives, so I will follow your "without quarantine" instructions. My ph comes out of tap slighlty lower, but I never add anything to make it 8.0...it's just been there for a long time, I don't have anything in my tank to make it change, so I dunno what's up with that, but it's been steady 8.0 every water test. The gold nugget is doing fine so far, would you recommend trying to lower ph? The only thing with him is that someone is nipping his bright yellow fin tips...which is getting irritating, so I'm thinking of putting him in the 20 long once it's set up for awhile until his fins recover and go from there. Thanks for advise on the L200, hopefully all goes well tomorrow!

Marc

Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:48 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:13 am 
Life Member

He just means that ideally he would go in his own tank for a few weeks to make sure he is not carrying any disease or parasites into your new tank. The quarantine water would therefore be from this quarantine tank which he would go into rather than the main tank. If you had an extra filter running in the main tank you could set up a cycled tank easily with some main tank water and fresh water. I would make sure your tank is well fed before introducing the newbe. Night time as TR6 said is best. Or you could keep the tank dark tomorrow until the newbe is safely introduced and allowed some time to get used to his surroundings.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:13 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:50 pm 
Veteran Member

congrats on the Phantom.

I pretty much do things the way Tr6 suggest and it works fine for me. Most important things are the water temp and not having drastic changes in water conditions.

A important thing brought up is that you quantine your fish from others. I once bought some fish and put them in a tank within a week they all died. Never hurts to be safe and it's less stress on the fish if quantined for a few days so that it can be healthy healthy when introduced to a new tank.

Good luck and shot some pics when you get him settled in.

Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:50 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:51 pm 
Life Member

Thanks alot for the help! I'm at work now and unfortunately there's no way the wife can set up a quarantine, so I'll just have to wait and see how everything goes. Wish me luck!

Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:51 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:35 pm 

wish you tons of luck Marc!

keep us posted!!!
:)

Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:35 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:58 pm 
Life Member

Thanks alot japheth! Will do!

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:58 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:37 am 
Life Member

Shipping got delayed and will hopefully get here tomorrow around 10 am...this is adding to my stress...lol

Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:37 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:44 pm 
Life Member

So paypal totally screwed up my address and sent my old address from Minnesota to the seller. So the package went all the way to St. Paul, now it's being sent back to him. They said he probably won't get it until monday...He sent the package on monday afternoon...so that would be almost exactly a week...what do you guys think the chances are that the fish will be alive?

Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:44 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 2      [ 24 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
Post a new topic Post a reply