Frontosa.com

Frontosa.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Frontosa/Gibberosa species.
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:45 am

Style Select

Green = Released
Orange = Beta Theme
Gray = Pre-beta Theme
Red = New Pre-beta Team
Current Style

fisubice

You must be logged in to use the Styles Changer

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register
Online Users

In total there are 13 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 12 guests

Most users ever online was 119 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:57 am

Registered users: Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 10 minutes

Recent Topics
Hello~!
by: iandraco
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:21 am
View latest reply...

Intro
by: iandraco
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:26 pm
View latest reply...

Male or Female, Need...
by: Filip Gorgiovski
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:24 pm
View latest reply...

substrait accumulati...
by: insite
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 pm
View latest reply...

Intro
by: Allen
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 pm
View latest reply...

WTB
by: Barnacle Joe
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:43 am
View latest reply...

We are back
by: Allen
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:31 am
View latest reply...

show and tell..........
by: Simard
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:47 am
View latest reply...

Intro
by: sham
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 am
View latest reply...

May 2010 Best Fronto...
by: Reisch
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:34 pm
View latest reply...

Clown Loaches Fin ni...
by: peteralan
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:47 pm
View latest reply...

Frontosa with floati...
by: manfred
Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:33 pm
View latest reply...

Your Fish in Your Sh...
by: peteralan
Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 am
View latest reply...

Old heifers.........
by: Bwana Makuba
Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:20 am
View latest reply...

why wild caught over...
by: Bwana Makuba
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:02 pm
View latest reply...

Search

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 2      [ 23 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
 Post subject: Hello new to Frontosa here
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:24 am 

Hello.

I have aquire 7 (had 7) Juvenile Frontosa.They are about 1.5 inches each.Right now I have them in a 72 gallon bowfront,gravel,under gravel filter and 100 gallon canister filter.I have made 4 rock caves and the tank is planted with 2 swords and 3 ferns.I also have a 5 inch red tail shark with them and an 8 inch pleco as well as 3 juvenile clown loaches same size as the fronts.We ordered 12 fronts online almost a month ago.My cousin took 5 of them and we kept 7.Nitrate0,ph 7.8,nitrite o,ammonia 0 (fresh water change today and thesee are readingsome after 50 percent water change.I have two questions.First all 7 were doing great.This morning I woke up and found 1 front dead and fins all chewed up floating in a plant at the top of the tank.He was fine all day yesterday with no sickness showing and no behavior issues.All of these fish are doing great together no issues.Why did one die and why were his fins chewed up?My second question is one front hangs out on opposite side of tank with the shark and loaches.The other 5 hang out together in the plants near a large cave.So one singled himself out or seems to maybe be pushed out of the rest of the group.Any ideas on why one died and was partially eaten and why one hangs alone.I am upgrading to a 125 gallon in about 6 months.I feed them shrimp,blood worms and flakes and they eat very well.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:24 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Hello new to Frontosa here
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:42 am 

I also forgot to mention when we ordered these they were shipped over night about a month ago into a very cold climate.When they arrived the bags of water they were in was ice cold and 1 out of the 12 appeared dead.After floating the water bags for almost 45 minutes he came to slowly and when he was o.k. In the tank the other fronts picked on him for a day.But after a day they were all fine including the one that wasn't doing well.So almost a month passed by with no issues and now one is dead.Not sure if it was the one that was near death that died.The water temp is at 80 all day and night.Lights on a timer daytime from 630 am to 7 pm then moon light led from 7 to 8 pm then all lights out until the next day.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile post

Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:42 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:41 pm 

Can anyone help me out here.I love my frontosa and want to make sure everything is o.k. Or if i need to change anything.Woke up this morning with no dead fish and no issues.By the way they love brine shrimp.

Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:41 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:09 am 
Veteran Member

I think you will have issues with a 5 inch red tail shark. I don't know a lot about them other than they can get a bit aggressive. With 1.5 inch frontosa he will run the tank and may pick on them. You might notice your frontosa hiding and not coming out as the shark will go after them. I would take him out if you want to reduce the chance of loosing some of the frontosa.

:moba :moba :moba :mpimbwe :mpimbwe

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:09 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:42 am 

I haven't seen him pick on them yet.In fact the singled out front hangs out in a cave above his cave and the three clown loaches literally hug around the red tail in his cave and follow him.Unless the red tail is picking on them when we don't see it.5 out of the 6 fronts hang out on opposite side of the tank and don't leave that area...is that maybe a sign they don't like the red tail.The red tIl does swim over and around the other 5 but I never see aggression from him,why is one front hanging out away from the other fronts around the clown loaches and red tail?do you think I should still remove the red tail?

Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:42 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:18 pm 

Bad new.....another front dead this morning....all look healthy and this is happening at night with lights off.No chew marks or fins nipped on this one though but he was found at the back of the sharks cave on the gravel....I don't know what to do here need help fast.I am going to remove my shark and my pleco but I don't want to wake up again with another dead one even with these guys removed.Would the slightly larger (1/8 inch larger then the fronts) be picking on my fronts.Once again in the day I see no one picking on anyone except the fronts do nip at each other once and awhile.Still odd to see one front hanging out on complete opposite side of tank from the rest.He hangs out around the shark and clown loaches....could he be killing my other fronts?HELP

Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:18 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:19 pm 
Administrator

Sounds like you have a water quality issue. If you are not seeing them fight then it must be something else.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:19 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:31 pm 

My water hasn't been an issue at all before with the other cichlids I used to have in this same tank before I gave them to a friend for his tank.I did clean out the old sand when no fish were in the tank and water still half full and installed an undergravel filter and gravel and plants then put back in the red tail shark and pleco,bought 3 juvenile clown loaches and put them in then a week later added the fronts.The fronts did great for about 3 weeks no issues except for the loner which I still don't know why he is a loner on the opposite side of the tank.And now this is occuring?The fronts do pick on each other once and awhile but very minor...the only major fighting issue is if one tries to go to opposite side of tank the loner front comes out and chases it off?Which is also the side I found the dead ones where the loner,shark and clown loaches hang out.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:31 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:28 pm 

Below is a Youtube video of my tank this morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oLo34hZqyM

Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:28 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:42 pm 
Administrator

Two things I notice about your tank. There are live plants in that tank which will lower the PH of your water as the plant matter decays and there seems to be allot of current where the fronts are trying to hang out. Maybe they are becoming exhausted from trying to stay in that area. The loaches are under a rock where there is most likely less current. I would remove the live plants and the bubble wall and see how that goes.

Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:42 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:40 am 

I have removed the red tail and the Plecoptera and the sharp rocks.The loaches were hanging out with the shark as they always do but did come out allot with no issues swimming around.Most of the current comes from the canister filter as it is a spray bar water flow that comes out at the top of the tank.

Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:40 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:13 pm 
Veteran Member

hard to say. i would keep checking your water parameters every couple days. if your ph changes a couple days after a water change your plants may be causing a drop and should be removed. the loner front could be your alpha male claiming a territory and chasing the others away. the shark could be chasing your fronts to death when you're not looking. the clowns and pleco should be fine. also blood worms are not a good food choice for africans in general and could be causing an intestinal blockage that could be fatal. i'd quit feeding them immediately and look for a staple sinking pellet like new life spectrum or omega one. hope this helps.

Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:13 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:04 pm 

I have removed all but 3 small plants.Removed the shark and pleco as well.Cleaned gravel lightly with vaccum and do another 10% water change.Started feeding flake food.They look much happier so far and also removed the air bubble wand.Did this 3 days ago.My cousin called me last night (we ordered 12 fronts and he took 5 and I took 7) well he found one of his dead as well last night.This has started to worry me some.We both have kept fish for several years with no issues like this before.It's been 3 days since the last death in my tank so we will see how it goes from here.Not sure what else to do.I also emailed the company we bought them from to see if they have any recent issues with their fronts to be safe.We've had these guys for about 3 weeks.

Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:04 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:05 am 

So far so good no more dead ones.I do have another question I hope you can help with.They are fairly aggressive with each other not wanting to be around each other very often...they chase each other away somewhat.Also two of them their black stripes have faded to a light gray and their white isn't as bright as the rest and the faded colored fronts have a horizontal stripe running through them about center body of the fish from the back of the eye to the tail.The other three look great though.Is this all normal or is there an issue here?

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:05 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:22 am 
Administrator

Sounds like they may be sorting out the ranks. The dominant fish will brighten their colors and the subs will lighten. Many male cichlids will drop all their color in the face of confrontation with an alpha/beta male.

Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:22 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 2      [ 23 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
Post a new topic Post a reply