Frontosa.com

Frontosa.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Frontosa/Gibberosa species.
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:22 pm

Style Select

Green = Released
Orange = Beta Theme
Gray = Pre-beta Theme
Red = New Pre-beta Team
Current Style

fisubice

You must be logged in to use the Styles Changer

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register
Online Users

In total there are 19 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 19 guests

Most users ever online was 119 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:57 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 10 minutes

Recent Topics
Hello~!
by: iandraco
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:21 am
View latest reply...

Intro
by: iandraco
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:26 pm
View latest reply...

Male or Female, Need...
by: Filip Gorgiovski
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:24 pm
View latest reply...

substrait accumulati...
by: insite
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 pm
View latest reply...

Intro
by: Allen
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 pm
View latest reply...

WTB
by: Barnacle Joe
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:43 am
View latest reply...

We are back
by: Allen
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:31 am
View latest reply...

show and tell..........
by: Simard
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:47 am
View latest reply...

Intro
by: sham
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 am
View latest reply...

May 2010 Best Fronto...
by: Reisch
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:34 pm
View latest reply...

Clown Loaches Fin ni...
by: peteralan
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:47 pm
View latest reply...

Frontosa with floati...
by: manfred
Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:33 pm
View latest reply...

Your Fish in Your Sh...
by: peteralan
Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 am
View latest reply...

Old heifers.........
by: Bwana Makuba
Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:20 am
View latest reply...

why wild caught over...
by: Bwana Makuba
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:02 pm
View latest reply...

Search

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 2      [ 18 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
 Post subject: If you had ...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:39 am 

a 240 gallon to setup, how would you stock it? I'm gettin' back into the game and just made a deal on a 240 gallon acrylic setup. With a tank this size, I can go 1000 directions. I'm certain of one thing; it's gonna be Tanganyikan. But that's about where my certainty ends.

Looking forward to seeing how y'all stock my tank.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:39 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: If you had ...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:22 pm 
Veteran Member

i'd pick up a big breeding group of my favorite zaire gibberosa and some calvus or comps. probably a ratio of 3m/12+f on the gibbs. but that's just me. sounds like an awesome tank. how long is it? 8 footer i'm guessing?

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:22 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:28 pm 

8'x2'x2' ... I am picking it up Thursday morning!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile post

Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:28 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:14 pm 
Life Member

Awesome. Congrats! If I had another large tank, I would do either another Mpimbwe colony or a Zaire colony.

2 - 20 gallon long Ancistrus breeding tanks
“For me, the world of nature bears spectacular witness to the imaginative genius of our Creator.”

Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:14 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:36 pm 
Veteran Member

I would love to have an eight foot tank. If I did I would fill it with Kaps and nothing else. Just a large colony of frontosa. Now that would be cool!! :bananna :bananna :bananna

:moba :moba :moba :moba :mpimbwe :mpimbwe

Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:36 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:43 am 

iandraco wrote:
i'd pick up a big breeding group of my favorite zaire gibberosa and some calvus or comps. probably a ratio of 3m/12+f on the gibbs. but that's just me. sounds like an awesome tank. how long is it? 8 footer i'm guessing?

X1. Good advice.

Do a sand bottom. What filtration are you planning?

180 g Oceanic with colony of 8 WC Moba Fronts (1m/7f) purchased from TNT Cichlids in Jan '05, 1 F1 one-eyed moba male and numerous fry. 2 2217 Eheims, 2 6080 Tunze Streams, WISA airpump, single stage Johnson temperature controller.....fishkeeping since 1988.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:43 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:22 am 

Ron R. wrote:

X1. Good advice.

Here's what I was thinking on substrate:
- 80lbs Crushed Coral
- 20lbs Tahitian Moon Reef & Marine Substrate
- 100lbs White Sand Eco-Complete African Cichlid Substrates
- 40lbs Sand Eco-Complete African Cichlid Substrates

The filtration that comes with the setup is a custom sump/pump ... I'll examine and tweak accordingly.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:22 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:09 am 

Airshikaritagi wrote:
Ron R. wrote:

X1. Good advice.

Here's what I was thinking on substrate:
- 80lbs Crushed Coral
- 20lbs Tahitian Moon Reef & Marine Substrate
- 100lbs White Sand Eco-Complete African Cichlid Substrates
- 40lbs Sand Eco-Complete African Cichlid Substrates

The filtration that comes with the setup is a custom sump/pump ... I'll examine and tweak accordingly.

Sounds like you have a plan! Good deal.

What I like about the finer (but not too sugary) sand is that it is dense and does not allow all the gunk (fish poop, uneaten food) to penetrate below the surface. Some of this stuff gets down there because fronts are diggers.

I've used crushed coral in the past and had it in the smallest size, but I had to vacuum it all the time. I use CaribSea Aragonite Select. It's one size up from the sugary aragamax most saltwater reefers use. I have 2 6080 Tunze Streams located at either end of my 6 foot 180g tank. I have them on an auto-timer and they kick on 4x daily for 15 minute cycles. The tornado effect it causes gently sweeps my sand and moves all the gunk to either of my 2 2217 ehiems I have at both ends of my tank. I haven't vacuumed my sand in 7 years or so.

Something to consider.

180 g Oceanic with colony of 8 WC Moba Fronts (1m/7f) purchased from TNT Cichlids in Jan '05, 1 F1 one-eyed moba male and numerous fry. 2 2217 Eheims, 2 6080 Tunze Streams, WISA airpump, single stage Johnson temperature controller.....fishkeeping since 1988.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:09 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:20 am 

Ron R. wrote:

Sounds like you have a plan! Good deal.

What I like about the finer (but not too sugary) sand is that it is dense and does not allow all the gunk (fish poop, uneaten food) to penetrate below the surface. Some of this stuff gets down there because fronts are diggers.

I've used crushed coral in the past and had it in the smallest size, but I had to vacuum it all the time. I use CaribSea Aragonite Select. It's one size up from the sugary aragamax most saltwater reefers use. I have 2 6080 Tunze Streams located at either end of my 6 foot 180g tank. I have them on an auto-timer and they kick on 4x daily for 15 minute cycles. The tornado effect it causes gently sweeps my sand and moves all the gunk to either of my 2 2217 ehiems I have at both ends of my tank. I haven't vacuumed my sand in 7 years or so.

Something to consider.

Thanks for the advice on the Streams! I use to do a similar thing with a 58g reef. I hadn't considered it here.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:20 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:09 pm 

Airshikaritagi wrote:
Thanks for the advice on the Streams! I use to do a similar thing with a 58g reef. I hadn't considered it here.

I keep my wc Mobas using non-traditional methods. I keep my tank well lit. Since fronts live in the depths of Lake T, many front keepers don't turn on their lights much. I use an auto-timer for my Marineland Double Bright LEDs and another auto-timer for my moonlights. I have 2 large ball bubblers that aid in water circulation. Many believe air bubbles cause float. Float is related to stress. I have a female that likes to eat air bubbles coming off my air balls, but she also likes to swim to the top and gulp air at the surface. I use Texas Holey Rock and make caves for my Mobas with easy entry and exit. Yes, my rock is sharp and my fish get scrapes and scratches, but nothing serious. My Mobas like to spawn in the caves and seek cover as needed. I use a commercial grade single stage controller to operate 2 500w titanium heaters that I have laying on the sand bottom. Most saltwater reefers use single and double stage controllers. I'm getting ready to install an Apex Aquacontroller that will control and monitor everything I have (lights, heaters with redundancy, Tunzes, pH). It will shut off my heaters if my Johnson controller fails and will send me a text.

The Tunzes have been a blessing because they do an excellent job keeping my sand clean. The extra current doesn't discourage spawning or cause my alpha's milt not to make contact with the unfertilized eggs.

Just some additional things to consider as you're setting up your new tank. Congrats again!!!!!!

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:09 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:46 pm 
Veteran Member

Ron R. wrote:
Airshikaritagi wrote:

I keep my wc Mobas using non-traditional methods. I keep my tank well lit. Since fronts live in the depths of Lake T, many front keepers don't turn on their lights much. I use an auto-timer for my Marineland Double Bright LEDs and another auto-timer for my moonlights. I have 2 large ball bubblers that aid in water circulation. Many believe air bubbles cause float. Float is related to stress. I have a female that likes to eat air bubbles coming off my air balls, but she also likes to swim to the top and gulp air at the surface. I use Texas Holey Rock and make caves for my Mobas with easy entry and exit. Yes, my rock is sharp and my fish get scrapes and scratches, but nothing serious. My Mobas like to spawn in the caves and seek cover as needed. I use a commercial grade single stage controller to operate 2 500w titanium heaters that I have laying on the sand bottom. Most saltwater reefers use single and double stage controllers. I'm getting ready to install an Apex Aquacontroller that will control and monitor everything I have (lights, heaters with redundancy, Tunzes, pH). It will shut off my heaters if my Johnson controller fails and will send me a text.

The Tunzes have been a blessing because they do an excellent job keeping my sand clean. The extra current doesn't discourage spawning or cause my alpha's milt not to make contact with the unfertilized eggs.

No question Ron does several things out of the frontosa norm......but if it works, knock yourself out!! :lol: :lol:

:moba :moba :moba :moba :mpimbwe :mpimbwe

Just some additional things to consider as you're setting up your new tank. Congrats again!!!!!!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:46 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:22 pm 

Ok...picked up the tank this morning.

Here's a pic as it sits empty & in need of some re-plumbing & a solid cleaning!

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:22 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:45 pm 
Veteran Member

OK I'm assuming its for display and enjoyment rather than breeding, so I'd get a group of F1 fronts about 3" (in my experience, Kigomas are less aggressive and predatory, so maybe them), plus about a dozen jumbo cyps, a few B. tricoti and for the rocks a pair of N. buescheri for one corner and some leleupi for the other corner. If it doesn't work out change it!

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:45 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:22 pm 

Yes...you assumed correct; this will be a community enjoyment tank.

Thanks for the ideas...

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:22 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:46 am 

That is nice. It looks like a monster. I like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:46 am
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 2      [ 18 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2  
Post a new topic Post a reply