Frontosa.com

Frontosa.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Frontosa/Gibberosa species.
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:31 am

Style Select

Green = Released
Orange = Beta Theme
Gray = Pre-beta Theme
Red = New Pre-beta Team
Current Style

fisubice

You must be logged in to use the Styles Changer

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register
Online Users

In total there are 11 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests

Most users ever online was 119 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:57 am

Registered users: Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 10 minutes

Recent Topics
Intro
by: Allen
Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:44 am
View latest reply...

Intro
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 pm
View latest reply...

WTB
by: Barnacle Joe
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:43 am
View latest reply...

We are back
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:31 am
View latest reply...

show and tell..........
by: Simard
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:47 am
View latest reply...

Intro
by: sham
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 am
View latest reply...

May 2010 Best Fronto...
by: Reisch
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:34 pm
View latest reply...

Clown Loaches Fin ni...
by: peteralan
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:47 pm
View latest reply...

Frontosa with floati...
by: manfred
Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:33 pm
View latest reply...

Your Fish in Your Sh...
by: peteralan
Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 am
View latest reply...

Old heifers.........
by: Bwana Makuba
Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:20 am
View latest reply...

why wild caught over...
by: Bwana Makuba
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:02 pm
View latest reply...

Tumblers
Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:52 am
View latest reply...

Breeding Kigoma Fron...
Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:44 am
View latest reply...

Which Heater do you ...
by: iandraco
Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:25 pm
View latest reply...

Search

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 4 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Frontosa heavy tank, should I give away the blue dolphins?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:15 am 

I currently keep 8 Kigomas and 1 Burundi all between 1 - 1 - 1/2" long with a few other cichlids in an 130 gallon. That includes 3 kind of annoying blue dolphins who swim like maniacs and with their speed and appetite have outgrown my fronts by at least an inch or more. I've noticed them giving the fronts some shoves and bites recently but nothing too crazy. The problem also is that I brought in what I thought at the time was a little runt of a very colorful blue dolphin and it's turned out to be a very competing male and causes a lot of problems with the original 2 blue dolphins who seem to have paired up. Now the original male blue dolphin goes on rampages showing off to the other 2 dolphins and it has everyone ducking out of the way.

Along with these cichlids, to make matters a little bit worse lol, I have 2 Red Jewel females (2"), 1 Green Texas (2") and one very peaceful looking Brichardi (1.5").

I'm kind of rethinking now and it could be best to go all Tanganiyan or turning this 5x2x2 aquarium into an all species tank. My tank was recently medicated and switched from T5 to Led lighting and for some reason all the fronts are now hiding in caves or in the back of the tank. 

Should I start by removing that over boasting blue dolphin or go all out and remove more. My friend's will to keep any. He has tanks set up already. I also wanted to add a Daffodil...and I love my Green Texas and would want to keep 1 Jewel...help lol.

I have a nice 60 gallon aquarium, maybe I should start it up to house the dolphin pair and a Jewel with the Green Texas boss if he gets agressive. Hmmm...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

125 G Flat Back Hexagon 72"
8 Kigoma Frontosas, 3 Blue Dolphins
60 G Aquarium 48"
1 Jewel, 1 Green Texas Cichlid

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:15 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Frontosa heavy tank, should I give away the blue dolphin
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:10 pm 
Veteran Member

you kinda have a time bomb on your hands with those other tank mates. all of those other fish are far more aggressive than fronts and will probably all grow faster and bully them. while fronts are still cichlids they are relatively gentile giants. there aren't very many other cichlids that will work in the same tank. or at least work well. fronts are fairly shy and slow moving in comparison. they will get bullied and out competed for food. blue dolphins are awesome but they are very hyper active and will stress out your fronts. i tried them with my original burundi colony. while mine didn't bully my fronts they did stress them out to where they just hid in the back of the tank out of the line of fire. it was also almost impossible for the fronts to get any of the food and their growth pretty much stopped. in the end i had to remove them. they were awesome fish but it wasn't the right fit and the fronts were what i wanted to keep more. i thought it would have been awesome to have 2 species of really big fish with humped heads in the same tank but it was not to be.

as far as your fonts hiding since you got the new light goes, it should be noted that fronts live very deep in the lake. up to 100 feet deep. there's not a lot of light in their natural environment, so that could be a big reason why they are now hiding if your new light is brighter than the old one. they will probably get used to it in time, but i'm guessing it's a combination of a change to their environment with the lighting and the other hyper active tank mates. fixing one may cure the issue........and you already know the one that needs fixing. :mrgreen:

i think you already know setting up that 60 for your other fish is a good idea. hopefully this didn't sound like too big of a rant. i've been in a similar situation as the one you are in now. time for some hard decisions. keep us posted on what you decide. and we love pics if you are able. :cheers:

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:10 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:40 pm 

iandraco wrote:
you kinda have a time bomb on your hands with those other tank mates. all of those other fish are far more aggressive than fronts and will probably all grow faster and bully them. while fronts are still cichlids they are relatively gentile giants. there aren't very many other cichlids that will work in the same tank. or at least work well. fronts are fairly shy and slow moving in comparison. they will get bullied and out competed for food. blue dolphins are awesome but they are very hyper active and will stress out your fronts. i tried them with my original burundi colony. while mine didn't bully my fronts they did stress them out to where they just hid in the back of the tank out of the line of fire. it was also almost impossible for the fronts to get any of the food and their growth pretty much stopped. in the end i had to remove them. they were awesome fish but it wasn't the right fit and the fronts were what i wanted to keep more. i thought it would have been awesome to have 2 species of really big fish with humped heads in the same tank but it was not to be.

as far as your fonts hiding since you got the new light goes, it should be noted that fronts live very deep in the lake. up to 100 feet deep. there's not a lot of light in their natural environment, so that could be a big reason why they are now hiding if your new light is brighter than the old one. they will probably get used to it in time, but i'm guessing it's a combination of a change to their environment with the lighting and the other hyper active tank mates. fixing one may cure the issue........and you already know the one that needs fixing. :mrgreen:

i think you already know setting up that 60 for your other fish is a good idea. hopefully this didn't sound like too big of a rant. i've been in a similar situation as the one you are in now. time for some hard decisions. keep us posted on what you decide. and we love pics if you are able. :cheers:

Iandraco buddy, you were absolutely right on many things. I gave 2 extremely hyper blue dolphins and 1 Jewel to a friend.

These are the final residents: 8 Kigoma Fronts, 1 Burundi Front, 2 Leleupi, 1 Brichardi, 1 Daffodil, 1 Olivaceous, 1 Blue Dolphin, 1 Jewel, 1 Green Texas & 1 small Ancistrus.

I will put the Green Texas and Jewel in the 60 gallon or give one to a friend, and will remove all male fronts, except for 1 male in a year or 2 and will remove the 1 Burundi as well. I think The Leleupis and other Neolamprologus types will stay.

Yesterday the female Jewel overtook the Green Texas female as the tank boss, but both are very quiet and only really scare each other. The blue dolphin is 3rd in command followed by the Brichardi. The Fronts keep to themselves and you were right it was due to their new tank setup and environment (which has changed several times over in the last month) as well as 2-3 different medications which had them all confused. All seem to be sticking together and to themselves and all are coming to the front and competing for food. The dolphin will eat a lot of food but every Front and other fish gets their share. 1 Dolphin is manageable, 3 or 4 or more is a disaster unless it's a 220+ gallon tank. Anyhow love all these Tanganyikans.

Here is a video I made for you in case you want to see what the end result looks like :) I have a lot more in there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAP64DPZy8s

125 G Flat Back Hexagon 72"
8 Kigoma Frontosas, 3 Blue Dolphins
60 G Aquarium 48"
1 Jewel, 1 Green Texas Cichlid

Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:40 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:03 pm 
Veteran Member

Great looking tank

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile post

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:03 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 4 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply