Frontosa.com

Frontosa.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Frontosa/Gibberosa species.
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:45 pm

Style Select

Green = Released
Orange = Beta Theme
Gray = Pre-beta Theme
Red = New Pre-beta Team
Current Style

fisubice

You must be logged in to use the Styles Changer

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register
Online Users

In total there are 11 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests

Most users ever online was 119 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:57 am

Registered users: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] based on users active over the past 10 minutes

Recent Topics
Hello~!
by: iandraco
Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:21 am
View latest reply...

Intro
by: iandraco
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:26 pm
View latest reply...

Male or Female, Need...
by: Filip Gorgiovski
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:24 pm
View latest reply...

substrait accumulati...
by: insite
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 pm
View latest reply...

Intro
by: Allen
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 pm
View latest reply...

WTB
by: Barnacle Joe
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:43 am
View latest reply...

We are back
by: Allen
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:31 am
View latest reply...

show and tell..........
by: Simard
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:47 am
View latest reply...

Intro
by: sham
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 am
View latest reply...

May 2010 Best Fronto...
by: Reisch
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:34 pm
View latest reply...

Clown Loaches Fin ni...
by: peteralan
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:47 pm
View latest reply...

Frontosa with floati...
by: manfred
Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:33 pm
View latest reply...

Your Fish in Your Sh...
by: peteralan
Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:20 am
View latest reply...

Old heifers.........
by: Bwana Makuba
Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:20 am
View latest reply...

why wild caught over...
by: Bwana Makuba
Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:02 pm
View latest reply...

Search

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 5 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: *Moba grow out tank pictures Need advice plese*
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:37 am 

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Hello everyone !! just now figureing out how to post pictures :oops: lol Just wanted to show what i have going right now and had a few questions! The picture I have above is one of my 55 grow out tanks with my only frontosas i have as of now ! Inside are F-1 Zaire Moba's I bought In Ohio from joesfish about a week ago. Here is a picture of the fry they are just reaching an inch and are already showing great colors ! I currently have 9 purchased 10 but litterlly just today I lost one around noon ! :( I noticed one of my fronts swimin with somthing in his mouth and it looked like a dead body so I counted instantly and realized I only had 9 now . I took the fish out of his mouth to stop him from eating it and just didnt want waste in my tank, also added a pinch of prime. At first i thought it was one of my corey cats that i got yester day for 2.99 and thought no big deal ! turned out to be one of my mobas. :|
I am waiting another week before I do any water changes I will start gradually with 20%. In the mean time I am getting my bottom 55 cycled and ready for my next frontosas! also looking for a 125-180 gallon tank to put these in when they get bigger ! I will start building a double stand for the 6foot tank soon when I find a tank , thats when my half of my basment will be the beggining of my fish room lol :D Today I also received a 36-48 inch marineland double bright LED fixture for my birthday!Thought it would look nice and i could purchase a second and move it to a six foot tank in the future and not to mention the electricity saved, i know many people don't think light is necessary, but if im not at school im watching my fish ! that's my TV : P I asked for the 36"-48" because it was cheaper and i thought the 48 would put out to much light besides frontosas are low light fish and I think this would be more comfortable for them. The actual led light part is 36" and stretches to 48" to fit my tank that way leaving little bit of low light on each side of the tank, the fixture also has two light settings. One, Blue (60mW LEDs) and White (1W LEDs) and the second is a lunar mode with the blue LEDs only I like this mode at nighttime! :tired here are the pics
HERE'S MODE 1
MODE 2 ( night time mode)
HEATERS!! ** plese help guys this is my question I unplugged my heater just to gradually let the heat drop from 80! way to high well i keep it at around 73-76 and I forgot over night and the school day to plug it back in. so i got home and checked the tank and it was at 69 ! i instantly plugged my heater in and set it at 72 but my thermometer says 77 right now ?! if you ask me i hate heaters they are an accident waiting to happen and just more electricity ! (not that i pay the bill but i own the tanks!) i dont want to run heaters in my tanks but ugh just confused i will be moving my tanks to the basment were i have a bucket of water sitting down there just to see what the room temp is i check it every day to see were the temp is at. any advice guys really appriatte all help just getting my fish room up and running and cant afford all thoese heaters ! thanks guys glad i got the posting pictures figured out * CREDIT TO BIG JIM ;) thanks guys again !
-Nick

Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:37 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: *Moba grow out tank pictures Need advice plese*
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:00 pm 
Associate Admin

Looks like a good start to a nice fish room. I would look into a room heater, or a dehumidifier to keep the room warm.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." –Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:00 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:25 pm 
Veteran Member

sorry for your loss. actually higher tank temps have been known to promote rapid fry growth. 80 is not a bad temp to grow your fronts quickly. i have had heaters go bad and boil half of my fish before i knew it. it actually happened recently. lost 5 julidiochromis marlieri fry i was just about to sell. unfortunately heaters are a necessary evil for those of us in cooler climates for part of the year. it would cost way too much for me to keep my house in the high 70s all winter. my tanks are scattered all over the house in almost every room so i can't just heat one unfortunately. if your heater gets too hot for your liking and you can't turn it down i would suggest a smaller new one. i know these things all add up and get expensive but when you consider how much you pay for your fish a new heater is not that much. i am not convinced that the expensive heaters are any better that the cheaper ones (except the tetra brand......i've had nothing but bad luck with them). i have bought the expensive ones in the past and they didn't last any longer. i would recommend the Hagen Elite heaters. every size they have costs less than $20. :luck

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:25 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:42 pm 

Big Jim wrote:
Looks like a good start to a nice fish room. I would look into a room heater, or a dehumidifier to keep the room warm.

Good point Jim I actually have 2 dehumidifiers that I could run. Also with a small heater that oscillates and even has a timer but I'm always scared the damn things gunna burn my house down ! :( but Jim thank you so much good point I think that would still be cheaper then running 10 plus heaters. I will plug those in and see what I can get the room temp to stay at I don't know how joes fish does it he doesn't run any heaters in any of his tanks which are also in the basement. Btw as for the fry I'm sorry I haven't got back to you my birthday was yesterday and been really busy between getting this fry settled in and starting some tanks in the basment really hope they are still available just haven't got to running another test on The tank don't want to be unprepared ! Thanks do much for the advice !

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile post

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:42 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:08 pm 

iandraco wrote:
sorry for your loss. actually higher tank temps have been known to promote rapid fry growth. 80 is not a bad temp to grow your fronts quickly. i have had heaters go bad and boil half of my fish before i knew it..... i am not convinced that the expensive heaters are any better that the cheaper ones (except the tetra brand......i've had nothing but bad luck with them). i have bought the expensive ones in the past and they didn't last any longer. i would recommend the Hagen Elite heaters. every size they have costs less than $20. :luck

Thanks iandraco very much sorry for your loss we all know how that feels ! As for the heat correct higher temps grow fry very fast because it speeds their metabolism I just freak out that the tempture will spike higher then that frying all my fry lol but I am running just an Aqueon 150 w I dont think the price matters they all have the same heating element some are just more durrible then others not sure just my opinion appriate the help ! I'm just keeping it around 78 ish just hard to sleep at night thinking bout my heater bursting or over heating !

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile post

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:08 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 5 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply