Frontosa.com

Frontosa.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Frontosa/Gibberosa species.
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:31 am

Style Select

Green = Released
Orange = Beta Theme
Gray = Pre-beta Theme
Red = New Pre-beta Team
Current Style

fisubice

You must be logged in to use the Styles Changer

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register
Online Users

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests

Most users ever online was 119 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:57 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 10 minutes

Recent Topics
Wild Caught Cichlids...
by: kuyunga25
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:08 pm
View latest reply...

Hello All nice peopl...
by: kuyunga25
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:57 pm
View latest reply...

Intro
by: iandraco
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:26 pm
View latest reply...

Tanzanian exporters ...
by: Arusha54
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:40 pm
View latest reply...

Hi all, this is Aqua...
by: Arusha54
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:37 pm
View latest reply...

Male or Female, Need...
by: Filip Gorgiovski
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:24 pm
View latest reply...

substrait accumulati...
by: insite
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 pm
View latest reply...

Intro
by: Allen
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 pm
View latest reply...

WTB
by: Barnacle Joe
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:43 am
View latest reply...

We are back
by: Allen
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:31 am
View latest reply...

show and tell..........
by: Simard
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:47 am
View latest reply...

Intro
by: sham
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 am
View latest reply...

May 2010 Best Fronto...
by: Reisch
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:34 pm
View latest reply...

Clown Loaches Fin ni...
by: peteralan
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:47 pm
View latest reply...

Frontosa with floati...
by: manfred
Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:33 pm
View latest reply...

Search

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 4 of 4      [ 56 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3, 4  
 Post subject: Re: Salt or no Salt?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:51 pm 

Hi,i agree no changes no surprises.
First of all take a parameters and if water is pretty hard that means no soda,if pH is 7.5 or more that means You need very good biofiltration and bioballs section must be 1percent of tank spece or more ,at least 1% ! Water changes made better twice aweek about 10%each but not 20% once time,but salt better use a little dosage time to time like a profilactic.
Getting experiance for purchaise a first frontosas.

Last edited by tanganyikatapwaterman on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:51 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:07 am 

I have been adding 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of salt for every 5 gal of new water, and 1 tablespoon of epsom salt for every 10 gal of new water since my Lake malawi days. And I had 2 fronts in that tank for 3 years.
Just wondering if this is good buffer for the Fronts as well?

Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:07 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:28 pm 

ladyslider wrote:
I used to add salt every time I did a water change till I read somewhere that Lake Tanganyika is not salty and that Frontosas don't need it in their water. I stopped using salt with my water changes about 6 weeks ago, and I do 25% to 30% water changes weekly to 10 days in my 110 gal tank. I also clean my filters out every couple of months, along with disposing of filters when they're not looking too great. I alternate rinsing the filter media between 2 Emperor 400 filters whenever I do my water changes too. I only use charcoal to remove medication as a rule, unless I have a new filter to install. I leave the charcoal in the filter for about 4 to 6 weeks, then empty it out and continue using the filter media for another 3 or 4 water changes.

I noticed 2 days ago that 2 of my females have a few white spots on their bodies and on one of their fins. It sure looked like a fungus of some sort, so I started Melafix in the tank. I've never had this sort of problem in 3 years when I used salt.

Anyone out there have comments about their use of salt in their tanks on a regular basis?

First off, some definitions. When we speak of "salt", this is a confusing term, because salts are a large heterogeneous group that consists of any ionically bound elements or compounds. The salt that most freshwater aquarists mean to speak of, however, is NaCl (sodium chloride). THIS SHOULD NOT BE CONFUSED WITH MARINE SALT, WHICH CONTAINS BUFFERS THAT ARE VERY HARMFUL TO MANY FRESHWATER FISH. Table salt is basically also NaCl, only with iodine added (the myth that iodized salt is harmful fish is largely false... iodine is a natural element that is needed in the diet of all fish, and is actually a supplement in many fish foods... the only thing in table salt of real harm to FW fish are the decaking agents, which are very low in concentration).

The reasons that some aquarists use salt in their FW tanks (usually at a concentration of 1 tablespoon / 5 gallons... do not confuse this with "brackishness" as this is a much lower concentration, and true brackish tanks use mostly other types of "hard" salts... see warning against marine salt, above) as a general preventative to disease are as follows:

Salt adds electrolytes, which reduce osmotic stress to the gills. This is especially important during disease, when the ability of the fish to maintain homeostasis with its surrounding water is disturbed.

Salt can aid in the production of the slime layer and speed up the healing of some wound sites. This occurs by hyperosmolarity... fish have a certain specific gravity (concentration of total dissolved solids) in their bodily fluids, and so does the surrounding water... if the surrounding water has a slightly higher concentration, the fluids from the wound site move into the water around it, and fresh plasma goes in to replace it, creating more blood flow in that area (makes it heal faster).

Many pathogens, such as Ichthyophthirius (the protozoan that causes "ick"), do not particularly like salt.

Hope this clears thing up a bit... :D

180 Gal Acrylic: Ilangi, Golden Nugget
135 Gal Acrylic: Chaitika, Leleupi, Black Calvus'
110 Gal Glass: Chimba, Leleupi, Alto. Comps
110 Gal Glass: Duboisi "Maswa", Congoensis
90 Gal Glass: Ikola "Kaiser I"
40 Gal Glass: Reganochromis Callerius
60 Gal Glass: Fry Growout Tank
50 Gal Acrylic: 4 Farm Tanks
15, 10, 10 Gal Glass Fry Tanks

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:28 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:45 pm 
Veteran Member

i know this is kind of an old thread but i have a question. lately i have been buying bulk aquarium salt from my lfs instead of the regular API salt cause its cheaper. when i asked the guy if it was the same stuff he said it wasn't API its Mortons brand water softening salt like you would use in your water heater in your house. he says its pretty much the same thing, but i wanted to ask everyone here before i continue using it. i haven't had any problems but i am a little concerned. any feedback would help. what do you think?

Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:45 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:06 pm 
Life Member

I wouldn't put morton's salt in my aquariums...the only salt I ever use is epsom every now and then.

I found this post in a web search...Hope it helps!

-------Check this out:
http://www.mortonsalt.com/faqs/#q8

8) Which Morton products can be added directly to a koi pond or fresh water?

When salt supplementation is advised, Morton recommends using Morton® White Crystal® Solar Salt or Morton® Canning and Pickling Salt for fish ponds and fresh water aquariums, as these products do not contain additives. Note that it may be advisable to make a solution from the salt before adding it to the pond or aquarium. Please see your fish expert or veterinarian for the proper use of salt in a pond or aquarium.

As far as that particular salt, you should write the company that makes it and ask them if they would recommend it for ponds and/or aquarium use.

2 - 20 gallon long Ancistrus breeding tanks
“For me, the world of nature bears spectacular witness to the imaginative genius of our Creator.”

Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:06 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:42 am 
Veteran Member

ok. thanks

Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:42 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:47 pm 
Veteran Member

I think the Morton salt emsquared19 or Morton refered to is the salt used in soft water conditioners. I have used both types in the cond. at my home. As far as adding salt I use salt with every water change. It helps get my water to the correct hardness. I use a teaspoon per ten gallons. I just scoop it into the tank as I am re-filling the water. Been doing it like that for years.

:moba :moba :moba :moba :mpimbwe :mpimbwe

Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:47 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:43 pm 
Veteran Member

i add salt directly into my tanks while doing water changes also. i am just a concerned fish owner. don't want to come home to 11 tanks full of floating fish because i didn't do my homework on what i'm adding to my tank. they tell me they buy 50 lb bags of it at a URM grocery store near my house. i think i'm gonna go down there and see if the stuff they sell matches up with the salt on the link emsquared19 posted and then compare it to the content of API's salt. i know they have been selling it forever and they say they haven't had any complaints, but it still freaks me out a little. i have been buying it for quite a while now and adding it to all of my tanks with no ill affects so i guess i can't complain. funny thing is is that when i asked if they use it in their freshwater tanks, and they said no, we only add salt to our saltwater tanks and we use Instant Ocean. not much of a product indorsement for mortons.

Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:43 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:33 pm 

I have been using typical aquarium salt (not marine salt) in my aquariums for years. I am curious why the Epsom salt, baking soda mixture. Do fronts not like the regular aquarium salt or have you seen some added benefit from the home made mixture?

http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Bear-F ... ar+and+fox

Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:33 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:25 pm 
Life Member

I can't remember why people use the baking soda...hardness possibly? I never use it, but I do use epsom every now and then. The main reason I use epsom is for a laxative. It keeps things flowing, lol. Also it helps to prevent eggbound females, and can prevent blockages. I use it every 2nd or 3rd water change, and then I always use it in my hospital tank if one gets sick.

2 - 20 gallon long Ancistrus breeding tanks
“For me, the world of nature bears spectacular witness to the imaginative genius of our Creator.”

Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:25 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:18 am 

I always used salt at every water change been doing it like that for 15 years and all my fish are very healthy. I just use a teaspoon for every 5 gallons i change in water. Sometimes epson salt i use instead of api but most of the time its just api salt.

As for baking soda once in a while i used it to help buffer the water the old days before i used cichlid sand or crushed coral and just used rocks to buffer. Now that use crushed coral and cichlid sand together my water is always 8.2 so i never use baking soda although i hear it can help make the water crystal clear but mine is always crystal clear anyway so dont find a need to use it. :D

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:18 am
Gender place holder
Page 4 of 4      [ 56 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page  1, 2, 3, 4  
Post a new topic Post a reply