Frontosa.com

Frontosa.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Frontosa/Gibberosa species.
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:41 am

Style Select

Green = Released
Orange = Beta Theme
Gray = Pre-beta Theme
Red = New Pre-beta Team
Current Style

fisubice

You must be logged in to use the Styles Changer

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register
Online Users

In total there are 9 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 9 guests

Most users ever online was 119 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:57 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 10 minutes

Recent Topics
Wild Caught Cichlids...
by: kuyunga25
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:08 pm
View latest reply...

Hello All nice peopl...
by: kuyunga25
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:57 pm
View latest reply...

Intro
by: iandraco
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:26 pm
View latest reply...

Tanzanian exporters ...
by: Arusha54
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:40 pm
View latest reply...

Hi all, this is Aqua...
by: Arusha54
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:37 pm
View latest reply...

Male or Female, Need...
by: Filip Gorgiovski
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:24 pm
View latest reply...

substrait accumulati...
by: insite
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 pm
View latest reply...

Intro
by: Allen
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 pm
View latest reply...

WTB
by: Barnacle Joe
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:43 am
View latest reply...

We are back
by: Allen
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:31 am
View latest reply...

show and tell..........
by: Simard
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:47 am
View latest reply...

Intro
by: sham
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 am
View latest reply...

May 2010 Best Fronto...
by: Reisch
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:34 pm
View latest reply...

Clown Loaches Fin ni...
by: peteralan
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:47 pm
View latest reply...

Frontosa with floati...
by: manfred
Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:33 pm
View latest reply...

Search

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 12 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Tank leak. Suggestions?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:44 am 
Life Member

Hey guys,

This is the first time this has ever happened to me...so I feel lucky that I've only had it happen once...and it COULD have busted...so I count myself blessed that it's only a leak...anyway. My 265 gallon has a slight leak along the back bottom of the tank...looked inside and the silicone looks worn in those spots that I can water around (on the outside). I know how to reseal...problem is I have 11 very large Wild Mpimbwe that I have no home for while I do the resealing process.

I could do totes...but that always makes me nervous and if the resealing takes longer than planned, I don't want the totes to be a home for very long. My other option is to buy a 125-180 gallon to house them in. If I did that, I would sell my 265 once I re-sealed it and just keep the other tank. I don't like the idea of losing the extra foot of length (265 is a 7 footer)...but I like the idea of down sizing and tank maintenance and such becoming faster/easier. I think 11 would probably be max for a 125-180...but I think I'd be good...I do tons of filtration and I could always sell off a couple females if I had to.

Anyway, I'm looking for advice on this as I'm really not sure what my best move is. Let me also add in that I've resealed 55's and smaller, but re-sealing such a large tank that holds SO much water and weight makes me a little nervous.

What would you guys do if you were in the same situation?

Thanks!!
Marc

2 - 20 gallon long Ancistrus breeding tanks
“For me, the world of nature bears spectacular witness to the imaginative genius of our Creator.”

Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:44 am
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Tank leak. Suggestions?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:05 pm 
Veteran Member

i have a friend who was breeding tilapia that bought a black plastic horse water troft to temporarily hold his fish while he resealed his 300g tank. i wanna say it was about 5'x18". don't know how much they cost but it might be worth a trip to a feed store to find out. funny thing is he wound up keeping them there and turned it into a aquaponic system and turned the 300 into a salt water reef tank. i know you wouldn't do that, but it might be a good temporary holding tank.

Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:05 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:56 pm 
Veteran Member

Marc,
If you are going to down size the tank do a 180. I have a 125 now for my 7 fronts and they are getting big and my thought is to go to a 180. I thought about a 240 but the size and maintenance has me thinking. You may need to buy a tote to hod them. Just add some sponge filters several for good aeration of the water. If you are setting up a new tank can you leave the 240 when it is and get a new tank going? How bad is the leak? Don't risk a blow out. Momma wouldn't be happy with 240 gallons on here floor! :evil:

Good luck and I sorry you have to deal with this it sucks :shock:

:moba :moba :moba :mpimbwe :mpimbwe

Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:56 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:23 pm 
Life Member

Well, I ended up going with a 125. It just made more sense right now...money wise...space wise...and maintenance wise, lol. Worse case scenario, I sell a few females if I have to. I bought a brand new tank this time...with a lifetime warranty.

I set it up last night. All my Pims are in there now. When I woke up this morning they were all alive and didn't show signs of fighting...so far so good! I had to get the tank only last night and I'm going to get the stand early next week. So when I get the stand, I'll have to go through a draining/filling process which I'm dreading...can't wait for all of this to be done!!

“For me, the world of nature bears spectacular witness to the imaginative genius of our Creator.”

Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:23 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:31 am 
Veteran Member

nice. sounds like you've got tons of fun ahead of you.

Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:31 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:00 pm 
Life Member

I guess that's what makes fish keeping so exciting, haha! There's always something to be done!

Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:00 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:25 pm 
Veteran Member

Hey Marc did you pull the 240 down? I would think you used the water from it to jump start the new tank. Whats the plan, you going to reseal and sell or sell it as a snake house to someone? Glad to hear your up and safe as far was the tank goes ...no water on the floor!!

Joel

Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:25 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:38 pm 
Life Member

Hey Joel, the 265 is not down yet...I needed to buy a stand for the new 125 which I just picked up last night. Now I need to enlist 3 guys to help me move the 265, haha...it's a beast. I did use water from the 265 to start my 125...all of the water came from it. I used my python to drain it and also just a good sized rubber tube to siphon from it...it drained fast with that tube. So with 100% tank water and the exact same filters, all I did was just move the fish over to the 125. Probably tonight or tomorrow night, I'm going to get the guys to come and move the 265 out of the room...I'll have one guy stick around while I drain the 125 into a 55 gallon tank (to keep some good tank water) and then get the 125 set up...fill it back up with that same water and new water...and finally I should be all set.

Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:38 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:28 pm 
Life Member

UPDATE: Pims are all doing great. At first, the Beta took over the tank. Back in the 265, the Alpha ruled with an iron....fin?....lol. The Beta was taking revenge and putting the Alpha on the run. About a week in the new tank and it changed again. The Alpha took over again and got pretty nasty for awhile...I guess when there's a power shift, the male that comes out on top gets pretty aggressive to make sure the other male knows who is in charge now. Also, after the power shifted back to the Alpha, I had a female holding a couple days later! There's not a lot of aggression right now either. So for now, it looks like the 125 is working!

Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:28 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:52 pm 
Veteran Member

I am glad they are doing well. I was a little concerned going from a 265 to a 125 would tighten them up a little space wise. I thought you might have a battle on your hands. If you have a female holding right off the bat in a new tank it must be ok. :bananna

Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:52 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:07 am 
Veteran Member

glad to hear he set things right. congrats on the spawn.

Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:07 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:18 pm 
Veteran Member

Hey Marc, that brings back memories of when I sold my 265 glass tank. Oh my gosh, that thing was heavy! It requires a brute squad to move!

Glad the 125 is working out so far. Sounds like an interesting time for the alpha and beta: new tank with no established pecking order yet and a female releasing pheromones. That's a recipe for war. :shock: Sounds like they sorted things out.

I think a 125 gallon tank can be a great size if your group will get along. Easier to take care of.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile post

Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:18 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 12 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply