Frontosa.com

Frontosa.com is dedicated to the discussion and husbandry of African Cichlids especially the Frontosa/Gibberosa species.
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:53 am

Style Select

Green = Released
Orange = Beta Theme
Gray = Pre-beta Theme
Red = New Pre-beta Team
Current Style

fisubice

You must be logged in to use the Styles Changer

We are a free and open
community, all are welcome.

Click here to Register
Online Users

In total there are 10 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 10 guests

Most users ever online was 119 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:57 am

Registered users: No registered users based on users active over the past 10 minutes

Recent Topics
Hello~!
by: Keon ho
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:00 pm
View latest reply...

Wild Caught Cichlids...
by: kuyunga25
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:08 pm
View latest reply...

Hello All nice peopl...
by: kuyunga25
Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:57 pm
View latest reply...

Intro
by: iandraco
Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:26 pm
View latest reply...

Tanzanian exporters ...
by: Arusha54
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:40 pm
View latest reply...

Hi all, this is Aqua...
by: Arusha54
Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:37 pm
View latest reply...

Male or Female, Need...
by: Filip Gorgiovski
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:24 pm
View latest reply...

substrait accumulati...
by: insite
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:51 pm
View latest reply...

Intro
by: Allen
Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 pm
View latest reply...

WTB
by: Barnacle Joe
Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:43 am
View latest reply...

We are back
by: Allen
Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:31 am
View latest reply...

show and tell..........
by: Simard
Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:47 am
View latest reply...

Intro
by: sham
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 am
View latest reply...

May 2010 Best Fronto...
by: Reisch
Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:34 pm
View latest reply...

Clown Loaches Fin ni...
by: peteralan
Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:47 pm
View latest reply...

Search

This banner is placed in support of my children and their band "Half8n"
May all their hopes and dreams come true.
Help me out! Just click play, Really its 10 minutes of your life... Can you think of 10 minutes you have wasted doing even less?

Stop by and check out their website at http://www.half8n.com
Thank you, Allen
Post a new topic Post a reply 
Page 1 of 1      [ 13 posts ] Next topic { BOTTOM } Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
 Post subject: Need some advice on a 125G Frontosa Set Up
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:37 pm 

Hello all, I have never kept Fronts before or any other Africans. I am asking for some advice here. Here is my idea and some questions.

I have picked up a 125G, Stand & Hood for $150.00 bucks. Good deal to me! I want to keep 6 to 8 fronts 1 being a male and the rest female w/ maybe some clown loaches 5-6..... I'm not rock solid on the loaches maybe someone has a better idea something smaller and brighter??

I plan on painting the back ground black and using a black sand substrate. I need some advice on what kind of hardscape to use. Texas holey rock? Large boulder like rocks w/caves? I hear that fronts are flighty and to be aware of sharp edges so I am second guessing Texas holey even though it looks great. Give me some feed back!.

I plan on building a 55 gallon wet/dry sump filter system underneath using (2) 3 to 4 Rubbermaid storage draw units for the types of media and to hold 30 to 40 gallons of extra water. I want to use 2 overflow boxes for this and an adequate pump w/one outtake in the tank maybe double headed. I will put my heaters in the sump along with some plants like I have in my 120G w/d sump and maybe some lava rock.....

I want to go with a low bluish LED type light I think.... I know they do not like bright light. Ideas?

Help me out guys It will be a work in progress with the building of the filter system, prepping and of course cycling the aquarium (fishless) of course. I am currently prepping some bio-max media in my 120G Sump to put in the 125G to help along the cycle.

Ready Go!!! Thank you everyone! :party

Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:37 pm
Gender place holder
 Post subject: Re: Need some advice on a 125G Frontosa Set Up
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:17 pm 
Veteran Member

welcome aboard. i usually have a fair bit of suggestions, but you actually have a really good plan in place. everything sounds great. the only suggestions i would give you are to use smooth bolders for your hard scape. don't go too crazy as fronts are big fish and do need some open space to swim. 1 decent size cave for your alpha male to claim. clown loaches are great with fronts so long as they are large enough not to be eaten. if you can find some around 3 inches you'll be golden. a decent size bushy nose pleco or other variety for algae control is always good. you could do synodontis cats instead of clowns, but they are egg stealers and imo not as pretty as clowns. clowns add a nice splash of color too. that's really all i've got for you. given your plan, i'm guessing you did your research and put a lot of thought into this. i commend you on that. :bravo can't wait to see some pics of your tank when you get it up and running. what variety of fronts are you considering? :cheers:

Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:17 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:27 pm 

That is a good question. I'm not sure about what kind of front I want. Any suggestions?

Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:27 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:53 pm 
Veteran Member

well, you can't really go wrong with any variant imo. just depends what appeals to you. if you want the standard black and white with the biggest hump, Burundi would be what you're after. if you want an extra stripe and some gold in the dorsal fin, Kigoma. for the strongest blue/purple a Zaire variant like Moba, Kitumba, Kapampa, Mikula, etc. for arguably the most feisty personality and slightly lighter blues, a Tanzanian variant like Mpimbwe or Bismark. there's many more variants out there but hopefully this gives you some idea. here's a link where you can look at some pics of just about every variant gallery/. do some window shopping and let us know what peaks your interest and we'll try to point you in the direction of a great breeder. another thing to consider is how much you want to spend on your fronts. generally speaking Burundi and Kigoma vaiants are usually the cheapest options. Tanzanian variants are middle of the road. and Zaires command the highest price. while Zaires are usually the most sought after, if you are looking to breed, they tend to be the trickiest. just my 2 cents. no matter what you chose you will have a tank full of impressive big beautiful fish. just depends what you like best. feel free to ask any ?s. we're here to help.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:53 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:32 pm 
Veteran Member

I would agree that your plan seems pretty good already, and the advice you have received is spot on. Nothing to add really. Research is the key and you seem to have done plenty.

Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:32 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:05 am 
Veteran Member

AJdrummer wrote:
That is a good question. I'm not sure about what kind of front I want. Any suggestions?

Look at the photo album on this site. Find one that looks good to you and go for it. They are a wonderful fish and you will not go wrong with what ever you choose. Pick one that attracts your eye as you will have them for a long time to look at!! :luck

:moba :moba :moba :mpimbwe :mpimbwe

Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:05 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:07 pm 

Thank you all for the advice & feedback! The build has started! Yesterday I have gotten some thick plexi glass to use as braces to hold up the glass canopies I plan on getting today. The tank is an older O'Dell tank that had no bracing but has very thick glass. I painted the back ground black like my 120 Gallon. I love the look! I painted the iron stand as well. I was going to piece together my own filter but I ended up going with an Eshopps Wd-300Cs Dual Wet/Dry System for 200-300 Gallons. I got it for only $260.00 w/ overflow box, hose, bio balls, return hose & nozzle. I have a brand new RIO3100 I bought a while ago. Once the filter is delivered I will set it up move the tank in place and fill it with water. I am going to use some pool filter sand I have for substrate and buy some tahitian moon black sand as well. It would be way to expensive to do all black sand so I am going to do a mix. I like the look. I have a buddy bringing me a dozen or so round boulder type rocks from his cabin in upstate NY to use. I will see what he brings me. So far everything is rolling along. I have decided on just doing Fronts in the tank I may add a green phantom pleco or two down the road. We will see..... :cheers:

Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:07 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:22 pm 

One question I do have. What is the best lighting to have fronts colors really pop? I want to go with LED white & Blue not sure what the best route to go is. I know I need to stay away from too bright lights. Let me know what you think....

Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:22 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:22 am 
Veteran Member

I wold like to try LED light. I am installing them in several work locations and they are great. I have heard of several on this forum using them. A white light to view and a blue would be the way I would go.

Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:22 am
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:10 pm 
Life Member

Wow, sweet deal on the 125!

2 - 20 gallon long Ancistrus breeding tanks
“For me, the world of nature bears spectacular witness to the imaginative genius of our Creator.”

Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:10 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:07 pm 
Veteran Member

white and blue leds would really make your fronts pop. pricey, but worth it.

Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:07 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:12 pm 

I'm definitely looking into blue and white LED's. Yesterday my ESHOPPS WD300 wet/dry filter was delivered. The whole set up cost me $280.00 delivered. I have he WD150 on my 120G and I love it. I'm almost ready to get going with adding sand and my rock work that I got then adding the water setting up my filter and starting the cycling process. I have left over unopened pool filter sand that I am going use but I am going to also buy some black tahitian sand to mix with it. I should have it up and running right after the 4th of July. I'm psyched! :party

Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:12 pm
Gender place holder
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:59 pm 
Veteran Member

:luck Its always fun and a lot of work to set up a new tank :D

Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:59 pm
Gender place holder
Page 1 of 1      [ 13 posts ] Next topic Top Who posted Bookmark topic Previous topic
Go to page    
Post a new topic Post a reply